Brine Shrimp saltwater outdoor Pond Build Log

Cory

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

Great progression and final results. Are the eartheaters in the video Jurupari? Gorgeous sparkle on them.

They are, they may go into the 800g at some point

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, Cory said:

In my opinion it's a myth that only baby brine are nutritious. Otherwise frozen brine shrimp wouldn't exist. baby brine become less nutritious as they grow, so say you hatch them out and they are 24 hours old. at 48 hours, they've only lost nutrients cause they haven't eaten.. This is where the myth comes from. if you feed/grow brine shrimp they are as nutritious as anything else.  A case can be made that baby brine are very packed with nutrients. However it takes a ton of brine shrimp to feed big fish. I plan to feed these to adult apistos, african cichlids, platies, guppies, mollies. I plan to feed them green water, yeast, maybe some crushed up flake into power and such. They're filter feeders so will eat whatever is suspended in the water. 

When I first got into tropical fish around 1970,you could buy live adult brine shrimp at your LFS.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Dirtydave said:

When I first got into tropical fish around 1970,you could buy live adult brine shrimp at your LFS.

When we had an LFS in my town in the late 90s / early 00s, you could also buy them 🙂 

Man, do I miss having an LFS that is not over an hour plus away.  

• Administrators

I used to sell them at the store, our problem was shipping prices from Florida where they are cultured. I did a lot of test to keep them and breed them to try and keep it sustainable but I couldn't find a way being so far away for shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

So one awesome thing from @Cory's thread is that it inspired me a while back and currently to get my own brine shrimp culture going in a five gallon.  This is my first venture into live foods.  Using the knowledge Cory has taught us over the years about plants, I thought hey why not try to fight the Nitrate crashes so common with brine shrimp cultures by using macro algae in it.  And you know what? It worked!  

So the little 5 gallon is producing enough brine shrimp that I am able to harvest with a brine shimp net enough food for for 5 small tanks about 2 - 3 times a week.  I am supplementing the brine shrimp diet with spirulina powder and septic tank bacteria (BioClean, specifically).  To make sure the macro algae doesn't die, I have been supplementing the tank with a squirt of easy green about twice a month.  Anyhow it is working out great, my parameters for such things as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates seem great, and it seems that this setup is sustainable for the long haul.  I am thinking however of maybe once every other week adding more brine shrimp eggs to try to get even more of a harvest.  Plus having an extra tank that I am making look nice with an odd ball critter is an added perk.  

Thank you Cory for inspiring me!

Edit:  The initial amount of eggs used was 1/4 teaspoon. 

Edit:  I also can not believe how ridicolously easy this has been.  I really do think adding a macro algae (chaetomorpha) to the tank has been the key. 

Edited by Ben_RF
added more info

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...