Brine Shrimp saltwater outdoor Pond Build Log

Cory

• Administrators

I haven’t done a brine shrimp pond in years and I decided now that I’m hatching baby brine shrimp every day, it was time to grow some adults.

first I had to get rid of the duckweed from the pond. I left in the muck and little bits of plants. The salt will kill them and fuel some green water once the sun hits it for a few days. 

It always amazes me how much salt goes into saltwater. I did 50 cups of salt for 100 gallons. This instant ocean salt I had already. I don’t like it as much as fritz salts but for a brine shrimp pond it’ll do. 

I’m running a usb air pump with a never clog air stone mostly to just mix the salt and keep the water from getting too stagnant. I’ve run the brine ponds before with no airation and I find it runs a little cleaner it seems with air.

56441D6B-DEF6-4417-BA5C-8DB0E3ECA4B6.jpeg

BB24C2BC-3311-425C-B1F3-B8C7F167A8D0.jpeg

B8281FD7-2259-401B-9869-0B2D2B8DAB86.jpeg

E336F95E-BFD0-4E65-820B-E2EAB90D6B5C.jpeg

2909E349-6DFB-4515-B23E-8DA005DD3D1E.jpeg

• Administrators

Chemical reaction of the salt made a bunch of muck float, we will see if it settles over time. This is what I want in there to help sees the first foods for the brine.

CCD57C07-4AC3-4C11-AB5B-46A31306F414.jpeg

CD2A6066-C1D5-4101-A458-00ED84D7430F.jpeg

• Administrators

Most of the muck settled,  is it looks like it made pine needles float. Once the sun hits these they should start breaking down. Also the hatched egg shells floating. Hopefully the brine made it through the night. If not I’ll add more after a few days.

8B0EDFCF-2090-489A-A3DE-B2FC9A66B3C2.jpeg

22 hours ago, Robert said:

Super cool very excited to watch this project.

Ditto! I saw someone growing out brine shrime adults indoors for their fish room, so will be cool to see how a whole pond of them does.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Charlie7842 said:

Brine shrimp will overwinter outside here in WA? Or will this be a summer project only?

They'll only be a summer type project here. The good news is, to start it back up after winter is easy, just put some more eggs in. 

Do you ever change the water or just top off?

I tried to raise to adults a few times indoors and ended up with a very smelly tank/room.  Not sure what the problem was.  Used reef crystals, an airstone and fed tiny bits of spirulina.  I'm leaning towards my feeding being the issue.  

• Administrators

In my opinion it's a myth that only baby brine are nutritious. Otherwise frozen brine shrimp wouldn't exist. baby brine become less nutritious as they grow, so say you hatch them out and they are 24 hours old. at 48 hours, they've only lost nutrients cause they haven't eaten.. This is where the myth comes from. if you feed/grow brine shrimp they are as nutritious as anything else.  A case can be made that baby brine are very packed with nutrients. However it takes a ton of brine shrimp to feed big fish. I plan to feed these to adult apistos, african cichlids, platies, guppies, mollies. I plan to feed them green water, yeast, maybe some crushed up flake into power and such. They're filter feeders so will eat whatever is suspended in the water. 

50 minutes ago, Cory said:

In my opinion it's a myth that only baby brine are nutritious. Otherwise frozen brine shrimp wouldn't exist. baby brine become less nutritious as they grow, so say you hatch them out and they are 24 hours old. at 48 hours, they've only lost nutrients cause they haven't eaten.. This is where the myth comes from. if you feed/grow brine shrimp they are as nutritious as anything else.  A case can be made that baby brine are very packed with nutrients. However it takes a ton of brine shrimp to feed big fish. I plan to feed these to adult apistos, african cichlids, platies, guppies, mollies. I plan to feed them green water, yeast, maybe some crushed up flake into power and such. They're filter feeders so will eat whatever is suspended in the water. 

That’s good to know!  Thanks!  

How big do these get?  I’m assuming too big for fry.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dude this is awesome! now that its really booming after 30 days and the numbers are only going up by thr day, at about what day do you think youll need to start feeding? or do you think the foliage breaking down will sustain until the winter?

also this is the nerd in me tryna maximize outcomes, do you think there are things you could feed to maybe gut load them in a sense? like feed them nicer things than foliage waste or do you think it wouldn't really matter much for the nutritional transfer from brine to fish.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Devlin Mc said:

dude this is awesome! now that its really booming after 30 days and the numbers are only going up by thr day, at about what day do you think youll need to start feeding? or do you think the foliage breaking down will sustain until the winter?

also this is the nerd in me tryna maximize outcomes, do you think there are things you could feed to maybe gut load them in a sense? like feed them nicer things than foliage waste or do you think it wouldn't really matter much for the nutritional transfer from brine to fish.

You can definitely maximize here, but for me I like it to be super easy. I sprinkle fry food and green water in there to feed them.

I raised adult brine shrimp last fall and winter inside in a 10g with small spong filter mostly for the fun of it. My first batch crashed and my second batch just did ok. I made salt water with Ocean Nutrition and fed sprilina powder.

They weren't doing much reproduction so I just turned off the light when we went to visit family for almost two weeks but left it running. When I got back they were doing great! I fed much more lightly and also stirred up the settled spirlina ocasionaly while toping off for evaporation to maintain the specific gravity.

They still didn't really get going enough to be much of a regular harvest so I finally broke it back down. Glad I did it though.

Edited by pedrofisk