Is this possible

I don’t know if this is gonna sound impossible to some of your or if this makes sense I want to build a stand for a 75 then build a shelf for a 40b on top of it out of 2x4s I can draw a plan in the morning if that would help already know my plan for the 75g stand is good I just don’t know if my plan for the shelf is I want to have 6 2x4s coming up so 3 on each side on to a base of 2x4s with 2x6s as the base for the tank to sit on with 2x4s every 12in under it as braces I hope this isn’t to confusing I will most likely upload a drawing of my plan(don’t expect a lot) around 12pst tomorrow 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Angelfishlover said:

I don’t know if this is gonna sound impossible to some of your or if this makes sense I want to build a stand for a 75 then build a shelf for a 40b on top of it out of 2x4s I can draw a plan in the morning if that would help already know my plan for the 75g stand is good I just don’t know if my plan for the shelf is I want to have 6 2x4s coming up so 3 on each side on to a base of 2x4s with 2x6s as the base for the tank to sit on with 2x4s every 12in under it as braces I hope this isn’t to confusing I will most likely upload a drawing of my plan(don’t expect a lot) around 12pst tomorrow 

It's definitely possible to build a stand with a 40b on top and 75 on the bottom out of 2x4s. You should post an image of your design though so we can provide feedback on whether it should be sturdy enough. This thread on reefcentral has a lot on information about building stands out of 2x4s: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

The main trick to building stands out of 2x4s is to make sure that the lumber itself is transferring the weight directly to the ground, and that you aren't relying on screws or nails to transfer the weight. Basically, make sure that you always have vertical pieces of wood supporting all of your horizontal pieces of wood. Most screws aren't really designed to carry the kinds of loads that aquarium stands have to hold for larger tanks.

Edited by ererer