growout tank crowding?

Mirek

Hello fishy people, I've got a batch of maybe 30+ juvenile (about 2 months old?) odessa barbs growing out in a 10 gal with sponge filtration at 77F. Water is changed daily 25-30% at the minimum and they are fed 2-3 times a day, a Coop's fry food or more often BBS. Ammonia, nitrite consistently 0, nitrates ~10 ppm, pH 8-8.2, KH ~8, GH ~14. They are maybe little over half inch now. I keep finding a one or so dead about every other evening lately, last night I found one not doing so well so I netted him out and saw red areas, possibly signs of hemorrhage on his body, at the pelvic fins base and one by his tail. He was dead by this morning. The ones I fished out as dead previously all had red bellies which also made me think of hemorrhage. So I am thinking maybe it's due to overcrowding as they are growing relatively fast these days and the tank doesn't. I am going to move them to a 20 long to give them more swim space. My question is, would you medicate at all at this point or wait and see first?

IMG_20210501_195439669.jpg

IMG_20210501_195452892.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mirek said:

Hello fishy people, I've got a batch of maybe 30+ juvenile (about 2 months old?) odessa barbs growing out in a 10 gal with sponge filtration at 77F. Water is changed daily 25-30% at the minimum and they are fed 2-3 times a day, a Coop's fry food or more often BBS. Ammonia, nitrite consistently 0, nitrates ~10 ppm, pH 8-8.2, KH ~8, GH ~14. They are maybe little over half inch now. I keep finding a one or so dead about every other evening lately, last night I found one not doing so well so I netted him out and saw red areas, possibly signs of hemorrhage on his body, at the pelvic fins base and one by his tail. He was dead by this morning. The ones I fished out as dead previously all had red bellies which also made me think of hemorrhage. So I am thinking maybe it's due to overcrowding as they are growing relatively fast these days and the tank doesn't. I am going to move them to a 20 long to give them more swim space. My question is, would you medicate at all at this point or wait and see first?

IMG_20210501_195439669.jpg

IMG_20210501_195452892.jpg

I wouldn't medicate I think over crowding is the problem here moving them to a bigger grow out tank should solve your problem

• Like 1