Looking for Inspiration: Raising Fry

Karen B.

So I would like to reproduce my Clown killifish. I put them in a tub, lots of hiding places, spawning mop - so far I see nothing but maybe the eggs are too small?

Meanwhile in my main tank, I found a teeny tiny fry and 2 baby shrimps.

I moved the shrimps together in a container but one died.

The fry is in another container but I have so many uncertainties - I need a heater because I live in canada but will it burn itself? How much things (moss, floating plants, etc) should I put in? I am afraid all the debris will pollute the water. Must I have a air stone? Or just a little airtube? Water change? 

I was wondering if you all could share with me - tips, tricks, advices, installation...

22 hours ago, Karen B. said:

So I would like to reproduce my Clown killifish. I put them in a tub, lots of hiding places, spawning mop - so far I see nothing but maybe the eggs are too small?

Meanwhile in my main tank, I found a teeny tiny fry and 2 baby shrimps.

I moved the shrimps together in a container but one died.

The fry is in another container but I have so many uncertainties - I need a heater because I live in canada but will it burn itself? How much things (moss, floating plants, etc) should I put in? I am afraid all the debris will pollute the water. Must I have a air stone? Or just a little airtube? Water change? 

I was wondering if you all could share with me - tips, tricks, advices, installation...

First off, all the best wishes to you! It’s a fun (but sometimes frustrating) challenge to crack the code with breeding and raising fish.

Here is how we set up our Scheeli Killifish system. The main adult pair spawns in a 10 gal with mop. Young adults are growing out in a 20 gal long above. Many other tiny tanks and jugs are used for hatching fry. I pick eggs from the mop daily.

Here’s the whole room...

Heres me picking a few eggs out last night...

A few photos of our Killi male attached. Bottom one, you can clearly see a clear little egg in the mop.

You can up water changes a bit, add a Catappa leaf, feed live foods, and even for a week or two, separate male(s) from female(s) to allow roe to develop. Slightly dim lighting too. 

7AEC324A-11E3-44ED-B633-984A96B479F1.jpeg

BA40812F-1AA1-4E97-AD70-F857F3732462.jpeg

751B989F-E227-4787-ABC8-BD526A6C282A.jpeg

94826675-7796-472F-AFFC-71D62E72144C.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

First off, all the best wishes to you! It’s a fun (but sometimes frustrating) challenge to crack the code with breeding and raising fish.

Here is how we set up our Scheeli Killifish system. The main adult pair spawns in a 10 gal with mop. Young adults are growing out in a 20 gal long above. Many other tiny tanks and jugs are used for hatching fry. I pick eggs from the mop daily.

Here’s the whole room...

Heres me picking a few eggs out last night...

A few photos of our Killi male attached. Bottom one, you can clearly see a clear little egg in the mop.

You can up water changes a bit, add a Catappa leaf, feed live foods, and even for a week or two, separate male(s) from female(s) to allow roe to develop. Slightly dim lighting too. 

7AEC324A-11E3-44ED-B633-984A96B479F1.jpeg

BA40812F-1AA1-4E97-AD70-F857F3732462.jpeg

751B989F-E227-4787-ABC8-BD526A6C282A.jpeg

94826675-7796-472F-AFFC-71D62E72144C.png

Thank you so much! Your breeding setup is just a dream!

I put my 3 killies in a 2 gallons tub with 2 spawning mop and have never seen a single egg. And they were getting so unhappy, skittish, not eating much... I put them back in their main tank for now. 
Your killies are absolutely adorable! I will try to get a setup closer to yours before I try again!

What is the orangy water you put the eggs in?

3 hours ago, Karen B. said:

Thank you so much! Your breeding setup is just a dream!

I put my 3 killies in a 2 gallons tub with 2 spawning mop and have never seen a single egg. And they were getting so unhappy, skittish, not eating much... I put them back in their main tank for now. 
Your killies are absolutely adorable! I will try to get a setup closer to yours before I try again!

What is the orangy water you put the eggs in?

Thanks! The water has had a Rooibos tea bag left in for 24 hrs. It releases tannins, which mitigate against fungus build up on eggs.