Clinched fins and lethargic after moving to a 75g

Mary K

Hi y'all.

I upgraded from 29g to a 75g Sunday.  I moved everything including gravel and filter (I added another filter also), garden snails and 20+ Platy's. The fish were doing great, eating, swimming around, breading and looked healthy before the move.

Now, the snails are all gone, I cant find any of them. I'v lost 5 or more month old fry. The fish are not as active and a lot are at the top of the water or laying on bottom. They are moving slowly and have clinched fins. I don't see anything physically wrong on them, no spots or discoloration.  Maybe not as  colorful as I have seen them.  They are eating.  

The tank smells... not good, but not  gross. (Im thinking dead snails and a few small fish I can not find)

Temp - 78*

PH - 7.8+ (hard to read API master test)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 5.0

KG  - 53.7  (3 drops)  

Gh - 53.7  (3 drops)

I added a dose of Seachem Equilibrium last night and this morning I started a treatment of ParaCleans.  

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice or ideas y'all can offer.

3 hours ago, Mary K said:

Hi y'all.

I upgraded from 29g to a 75g Sunday.  I moved everything including gravel and filter (I added another filter also), garden snails and 20+ Platy's. The fish were doing great, eating, swimming around, breading and looked healthy before the move.

Now, the snails are all gone, I cant find any of them. I'v lost 5 or more month old fry. The fish are not as active and a lot are at the top of the water or laying on bottom. They are moving slowly and have clinched fins. I don't see anything physically wrong on them, no spots or discoloration.  Maybe not as  colorful as I have seen them.  They are eating.  

The tank smells... not good, but not  gross. (Im thinking dead snails and a few small fish I can not find)

Temp - 78*

PH - 7.8+ (hard to read API master test)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 5.0

KG  - 53.7  (3 drops)  

Gh - 53.7  (3 drops)

I added a dose of Seachem Equilibrium last night and this morning I started a treatment of ParaCleans.  

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice or ideas y'all can offer.

Frist I would do a water change and add an extra air stone see if there's any improvement

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Still not doing good.   2x 50% water changes in 4 days.

Now they are not eating.  Some want to eat and will suck in food then spit it out and swim away.

Others are motionless at top or bottom

I saw a few flick up against plants.

I don't see and skin/scale issues.

Just ran API tests and only thing that is not right is KH. Its 53.7.... or 3 drops 

GH is up to 5 drops (I say drops because I don't understand the jargon

Are there other water tests I should get?

Should I pull out the new cypress knee I added? 

Thanks. 

@ColuThank you.  I lost another adult Platy yesterday.  I guess I will start Meds again.   

What's crazy is I counted at least 12 new fry in the tank the past few days.  They cant be more than 4 days old.  

Also, I got new food, vibra bites, but they wont eat that either.  They just eat a little of freeze dried bloodworms.  They spit out, Xtreme krill and Fancy guppy.

I have been feeding Easy Fry for the new fry... 

Ill keep trying.  I would really like to start enjoying this new tank, its been a bummer seeing my fish suffer.