OK, Now What? (or, I Found a Bird)

Frank

The little guy was flopping around in one of my shrubbery beds. I haven't found a nest, yet. 

He's in the bathroom at about 80°F. He's eating ground up, freeze-dried bloodworms mixed with water to a stew-like consistency. 

Does anyone have better ideas? 

20210430_144641.jpg

Frank, that's a tough one. I have a wonderful wildlife rescue in my area. May be too late to contact one if you have one in your area- but's that usually the very best bet for a chance at life if you can't find the nest (and if you do, you can generally put them back, the old addage that the parents would reject it because they smell humans is a myth). 

You may also be able to call any 24hr vets in your area, sometimes they either work with rescues/take them in and transfer them to rescues or at least know of them. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh sorry Frank, also- consider there are times bird parents purposefully throw babies out of the nest- they know instictively as most animals when there is something wrong or defective with the baby. So if you did find the nest and put it back and it returned to the ground that could be it OR if it dies that could be a clue. I say that in case it does pass- you should not feel bad about it- you tried to help. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

Hit up Google right away. They have to be fed *so* carefully with a syringe so it doesn't get into their airway. I've tried to save several of that age or a little older, and haven't succeeded with the safe feeding. Best of luck to both of you! 

I'm using an official, Aquarium Co-Op pipette. He knows how to eat, already. I just hold it and he shoves his throat up around it. I'm probably squeezing it more slowly than he'd like,  but I don't want to go too fast. 

The internet says that I have to feed him every twenty minutes!!!

Yeah the very little ones are super demanding. Glad that seems to be going good at least. They do sleep at night are they still saying to feed them then? I used to foster bottle baby kittens. Up every 2 hours not only to bottle feed (I had up to 6 at one time) you also have to make them poop and pee. Great for your sleep patterns, highly recommended. 🙃

2 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yeah the very little ones are super demanding. Glad that seems to be going good at least. They do sleep at night are they still saying to feed them then? I used to foster bottle baby kittens. Up every 2 hours not only to bottle feed (I had up to 6 at one time) you also have to make them poop and pee. Great for your sleep patterns, highly recommended. 🙃

The internet says that I can stop feeding overnight. I bet that I'd better be ready in the morning, though. I'm glad that I'm retired. 

Thanks for helping! 

I waited for a little while, before picking it up, but it's pretty chilly here.