I have gotten several Nicrew lights for smaller tanks.  I have 2 of the 18 inch ones (one classic, one skyLED for my 10 gallon), and 1 of the 30 inch classic, with the nicrew single timer pro for my 20 long.  The 18 inch classic has been going just fine for a year, and the 30 inch has been running for like 6 months.

No complaints, and I actually have to run the 30 inch at 50%  because at 100% I got silly amounts of algae growth.  

• Like 3

I’ve had the Hygger for a while. It’s been great. I had also been looking at the Nicrew. They’re about the same. Based on reviews I’d say you’d be happy with either. 

I’ve also had to lower the lights a bit like RockyMongler to help with algae. Switch it up from time to time. 

Edited by J Cor

I have a Nicrew on my 75g. It’s surprisingly good, everything is growing except for some pearl weed at about 20” depth. I think it would work great for the 40b, but be aware that the remote/timer function is not even in the same ballpark as the Fluval app control. If you want absolute control over your light cycle go for the Fluval. 

I also have a Nicrew clip on and it’s very good too. 

Edited by Patrick_G

Nicrew provides light to grow plants, I've had a couple on different small tanks work well. No frills, and not sure the durability, but they're cheap. I like my fluval as well though, and think it was worth the money, especially if I start running co2. I imagine the nicrew can't keep up as well with high light in deeper tanks, the LEDs aren't good enough. Shallower tanks or low to medium light, and they work fine.

Hygger left and Nicrew right are both good budget options.  I bought a 24" of each to compare. Hygger Full Spectrum $26.99 on Amazon and Nicrew Plus Planted $29.99 on Amazon. Picture is them side by side on the end of my 125.  Will keep buying Hygger for fish oriented tanks and Nicrew for my planted.

Hygger has intensity options, a timer, and color control at that price.  Color rendering is much more pleasing and the intensity control is really the only option I use. Build quality on the Hygger is much more refined and almost as good as my Finnex.  It's slimmer, feels more solid, and is better sealed than Nicrew.  I'll continue to buy these for fish focused tanks with some plants.  Mostly because I can dial down the intensity to keep algae in check and I think the fish look much better under it than the Nicrew.

Nicrew just has a switch for on/off/moon with blue lights only, and I never really mess with it.  Overall it feels cheaper and is more bulky.  That being said all my planted tanks are now running Nicrews. I even swapped my two 30" Finnex Planted Plus lights for two 30" versions of the Nicrew on my planted 125.  The 125 is mostly crypts and hygro.  I like how simple they are and I have had less algae issues with them compared to my Finnex and Hygger lights.  

Finnex feels like a Ferrari, Hygger like a BMW and Nicrew like a Honda.  

PXL_20210304_040011509.jpg

• Like 1

My Nicrew has a remote with timer, color and intensity settings. I’m not sure if it’s model specific or a newer upgrade on all Nicrews.  
NICREW RGB Plus Aquarium Light, Freshwater Aquarium LED Light with Remote Controller, 24/7 Automated Aquarium Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DZJ62D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_G6DNQZM3T4G23GJM5RX9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Patrick_G

For my 40 breeder, I used these flood lights from amazon. They have worked well for my crypts so far. The tank also has dwarf aquarium lillies, buce and anubias. I did have to make a stand for the light however. I mostly enjoy the shimmer effect and shadows from the light. Just throwing it out there as an option. I will include a gif of the aquarium below.

0C805501-D167-4650-8B59-F6D1C8379F67.gif.bef9c2218e4fcabaf11ad5cf8cf2fdfd.gif

• Like 2

I'm getting to be a big fan of finnex stingrays but not being dimmable is a serious con. I would also have to place myself on team nicrew for budget lights. The optional inline timer/dimmer you can buy for them for around $15 is very useful if a bit clunky to program at first. The dimming can go incredibly low and if you take the time you can get more complex timing and more dimming control than even the fluval app.

Just to throw it out there, they do have a couple of vulnerabilities. They don't handle water well and I don't mean going for a swim. sponge filters running under them can damage or destroy them quickly in my experience. I don't use them on uncovered tanks anymore. You also might be careful to label or otherwise keep straight which power adapter goes to which device around your tank. Even if the connectors are all the same they might run at different voltages. I've burned out nicrew lights by accidentally using the wrong adapter.

All that said, they're pretty great for the price. Hope that helps.

Been using multiple nicrew lights for the past 3 years and no problems so far. I got them in my 40g, 20g, 10g, 45g, 75g and 100g.

A nice pro is that the newer models are dimmable, and for an extra $10 you can buy a programmable timer that connects straight to it. The intensity is nuts, so pwoerful that I have a plant "hospital tank" (a 20g long) where I have one that's at full power, and I use it to bring back any plant from the brink of death lol.

The intensity on this 75g african tank is only 25%. I like to pump it up to 100% when visitors are coming, it looks stunning.
sdd.png.69643c4bf7ddf805b5a9f9df14dddd52.png

30% or so intensity in this planted 40g
20210306_094942.jpg.8ad781658a9fa92538fe146fbb6e6072.jpg

My 20g plant hospital tank lol. Intensity here is at 100%
ddd.png.3dfb0abcfe4a800c2c0aac53d035ddd2.png

30% on the 100g
cccccca.png.71cd2c65566d8b5ac64cd1bd59c72bb2.png

As Cory said, you might be unlucky and get a bad one that will die in months, but my experience after 3 years and 6 lights of different sizes has been exceptional with Nicrew.

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1