Rinsing Marineland Penguin Pro 375 Carbon Filters?

BigRedd

Just curious because I hear that sometimes you don't need to really mess with the filters if the balance in the tank is good.

Do you need to rinse them? Or how often should you really change them, if at all?

I have a slot for two filters, I changed one once, and read that you shouldn't really need to change them at all. So I haven't changed any since, but I have rinsed them one time in aquarium water. 

the deal with carbon is, the carbon is only good for a few days, after that it is saturated so id rinse them off, and either if they get too far gunked up or you feel the need for carbon, then replace them. dont know if they make little empty cartridges you fill yourself for that model, but if so those are great as you can fill them with filter floss, or carbon, or whatever tickles your fancy. you can also junk it all, and fill the sumps of the filter with sponge, and just rinse those out periodically. lots of options.

Ok so I am a little confused. Is my filter carbon or something else, link is here: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filter-media/marineland-penguin-rite-size-c-power-filter-cartridges-5073694.html

3 hours ago, lefty o said:
1 hour ago, BIG GREEN said:

I would think on the carbon filters you would need to replace. The carbon is pretty much used up pretty quick. The bio wheels is different, you do not want to wash them at all, just let them be. I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. I think its a waist of money.

here is a link for info that may be helpful for you.  https://www.myaquariumclub.com/activated-carbon-its-pros-cons-as-a-filter-media.-16232817.html

BG

3 hours ago, lefty o said:

the deal with carbon is, the carbon is only good for a few days, after that it is saturated so id rinse them off, and either if they get too far gunked up or you feel the need for carbon, then replace them. dont know if they make little empty cartridges you fill yourself for that model, but if so those are great as you can fill them with filter floss, or carbon, or whatever tickles your fancy. you can also junk it all, and fill the sumps of the filter with sponge, and just rinse those out periodically. lots of options.

It says it has activated carbon and to change it monthly, so does that make it a carbon filter? It has the thing on the back of it that you linked to @lefty o on the back of it.

I haven't used a sponge on the intake, but I think I will add that.

those factory cartridges have carbon in them. after a few days, the carbon is used up, after that the only thing the carbon is doing is giving bacteria a place to grow, the blue floss stuff on the cartridge is doing the bulk of any filtering. the reason they want you to change those cartridges out monthly is to generate further sales. if that particular filter came with those gray refillable cartridges, i would use those and put floss in them, or even carbon if you choose. you can add sponge on the inlet, and you can put sponge in the back of the filter sumps too. i have a couple ancient big hang on back emperors on my 120, they came with the replaceable cartridges, and also refillable baskets. i havent put a replaceable cartridge in them in many years. usually i fill them all with a filter floss material, and occasionally if i feel the need i will fill 1 with carbon.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lefty o said:

those factory cartridges have carbon in them. after a few days, the carbon is used up, after that the only thing the carbon is doing is giving bacteria a place to grow, the blue floss stuff on the cartridge is doing the bulk of any filtering. the reason they want you to change those cartridges out monthly is to generate further sales. if that particular filter came with those gray refillable cartridges, i would use those and put floss in them, or even carbon if you choose. you can add sponge on the inlet, and you can put sponge in the back of the filter sumps too. i have a couple ancient big hang on back emperors on my 120, they came with the replaceable cartridges, and also refillable baskets. i havent put a replaceable cartridge in them in many years. usually i fill them all with a filter floss material, and occasionally if i feel the need i will fill 1 with carbon.

Gotcha. So basically I have a normal filter with carbon added on the back of it, i.e. not a carbon filter.

I changed them once and read that you don't have to change them out often, so I haven't changed it since. My filter does have some mud looking gunk on it, that's fine I presume?

I think I'll add some sponge in the back of the filter sump as-well. Not too keen on replacing the carbon every few days. I like the hand-off approach and It's hard enough for me to get both my bio-wheels turning as one side usually ends up taking most of the flow and I have to position my filters just right to get them both spinning. (thank you bio-rings)

So when I add some sponge to the filter sump as-well as the filter intake, how often should I be rinsing those? 

Edited by BigRedd

as mentioned above, use tank water and just swish them around to knock off the sludge. also mentioned above, dont use city tap water, as the chlorine/chloramine will kill off the good bacteria. the carbon in your filter when first put in will absorb things from the water, not really needed in a healthy aquarium. now if lets say you had medicated your tank for some reason, did a water change, and wanted to make sure you got the meds out, then you could use some carbon. carbon is useful for removing things from the water you dont want there, but it is not needed on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1