Plant Hungry Tetras - what WON'T they eat?

Hello!

I've got some voracious Red Eye Tetras that just nibble on EVERYTHING. Any small leafed plant - gone in a matter days. Countless micro swords, small crypts, and wisteria gone. My poor anubias can't grow new leaves because they eat the darn thing before it can even grow. The only thing they don't seem to touch are my lilies, larger, established crypts, and java fern. They chew on my amazon sword but it seems to grow too fast for them to make a sizeable dent. What are some of your recommendations other than those as to "non-edible" for the future?

I've tried feeding a ton to slow them down, tried feeding boiled spinach regularly, no stopping them. Crazy buggers.

5 hours ago, benchilton said:

Hello!

I've got some voracious Red Eye Tetras that just nibble on EVERYTHING. Any small leafed plant - gone in a matter days. Countless micro swords, small crypts, and wisteria gone. My poor anubias can't grow new leaves because they eat the darn thing before it can even grow. The only thing they don't seem to touch are my lilies, larger, established crypts, and java fern. They chew on my amazon sword but it seems to grow too fast for them to make a sizeable dent. What are some of your recommendations other than those as to "non-edible" for the future?

I've tried feeding a ton to slow them down, tried feeding boiled spinach regularly, no stopping them. Crazy buggers.

Had some similar problems with Buenos Aires Tetras. Java Ferns survive. Get lots, and large ones.

BUT! The key is including veggies in their diet daily. We feed Omega One Kelp Flakes and Bug Bites Spirulina Flakes to help tamp down that plant matter nibbling craving.

• Like 1

Will do. Java ferns are not my favorite, but hey, whatever doesn't get eaten at this point. I will look into getting those foods - thank you! They currently get Hikari Micro, Bug Bites, blood worms and brine shrimp so I think they can all use a little fiber haha.

My Lemon Tetras like to graze also. Their favorite is guppy grass, they seem to leave everything else alone. Maye throw some in to satisfy your Red Eye's greenery needs and get the benefits of a fast growing floater too? 

• Like 1