Rinsing filters

WayneK

Hello everyone.  This is my first time here. Forgive me if this question has been asked before.

Recently my tank has become pretty well balanced and hasn't needed a water change for around a month. I've just been topping off for evaporation. But it's time to rinse the filter materials in my hang on back. 

Question is... should I rinse them with dechlorinated tap water? Will I lose beneficial  bacteria this way?Or should i break down and do a water change using tank water to rinse the media? 

Thanks in advance.

Either way oughta do it. So long as you aren't rinsing them in chlorinated water, I can't imagine you'll run into a problem. I typically rinse mine in old tank water so I don't end up making a bucket of dechlorinated water just to get it dirty.

You can probably just rinse it in tap water. I watched a video here: 

by prime time aquatics that shows the science behind why they always just rinse their sponges in tap water. 
Even Corey has said on a livestream at one time that it “probably” wouldn’t be an issue. Sorry I can’t remember which one. It’s an option if you don’t want to do a water change. However, Inhavent done it because I haven’t found myself in a position where I need to.

• Thanks 1