Slime on Cycling Aquarium

alcidmr

I'm in my fifth week and still counting the day for this aquarium to cycle. but I'm noticing white slime in my HOB filter and aquarium smell kind of funny is that normal I'm scare to do anything to the aquarium while its cycling, or is it cycle?  Help someone! 😔

Looks like a normal bacterial bloom I've seen in just about every new tank I've started. It should settle out on its own.

However, what do you mean by "smells funny"? Your tanks shouldn't smell like much if things are running normally. Odd smells shouldn't be ignored.

• Like 1

The best way I can describe the smell of a healthy tank is like a damp forest, but not nearly as intense. Damp with an undertone of vegetation. To me, they all smell pleasant when things are running as they should. I managed to foul a tank's water early on by putting in a piece of broccoli for some shrimp and the difference in smell was immediately noticable.

I'm fairly certain the slime is some kind of bacterial bloom which, in my experience, is harmless to your fish. It should clear up on its own within a week or two. 

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Aldyrin@alcidmr I just set up a new tank a few weeks ago and had the same thing. I added some bladder and ramshorn snails because they can tolerate just about any conditions and they cleared it right up. 

Oops! Tagged the wrong person and can't figure out how to remove. 

Edited by Jennifer V
Tagged wrong person 🙄
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alcidmr said:

Oh wow thanks @Jennifer V don't know if I'm the wrong person or the one you was intended to tag lol. but thnks for the suggestion.

Yes! I accidentally tagged you and another person. Ha! But if you're comfortable with having snails, they are such an excellent cleanup crew, very little bioload and able to be added to your tank now, which is really fun because you can have life in there sooner. 

• Like 1

Just now, alcidmr said:

But not sure if my tank is cycle yet lol is that OK and it's only a 20 Gallon 

Bladder snails can live in just about any water, so I added them while the tank was still cycling and I didn't experience any problems at all. In fact, they did really well! 

16 minutes ago, BIG GREEN said:

Okay, I'm not good at tying all this out so I'm going to post a link you can read from start to finsh, not much to read and is very good info for someone new to the hobby of fish tanks.   If you want skip down to fishlab's 6 step cycle method, but I would just take it all in.   Cycle Your New Aquarium The EASY Way (Beginner Friendly!) - FishLab

Okay so I read back through some of your old post to see when you started this tank. In that thread some folks said to put some cheap fis in it to help cycle the tank (plz tell me you did not do this) if you did its okay you're new to the hobby and did what someone suggested.

Oh ok thanks, will check it out thanks again.

That's what kills me that I have no fish in there and I'm having so many things going on, first they told me to put more fish food and nothing been happening so I continued doing so I dont know what it is lol.