Will placing my canister filter at the same level as the tank cause problems

jhunholz

We have a 40 breeder on a dresser in our bedroom. The best place for the canister filter would be directly to the left or right.  It is also possible to set it up on the floor to the left or right but that will require more hosing.  Will running it at the same level as the tank cause any issues? It’s an eheim pro 4+ 350.

Thanks!

depends on the canister filter (model). Most are gravity fed for input but a few have active pumps. For the eheim pro 4 - check the instructions - for the classic they have to be below the tank (on the floor). I'm not sure of your cocern with regards to hoses as they come with plenty - at least the clasic (I have a 2217) does.

--

Checked the online manual and couldn't find anything definitive - one user reported it working fine but i'd email eheim to be sure. 

-

To be clearer they all have active pumps - the pump pushes the water back into the tank - but at least some models indicate that putting the filter level to the tank puts more strain on the motor - at least that is what they claim.

Edited by anewbie

I have only owned a couple canister filters over the years, and not one that you have. My suggestion would be to at least have it sitting below the water level of the tank. If you don't have enough hose to reach to the floor, maybe you have something like a small shelf or book case that would help get it closer. At one time I used one on a 40 breeder in my fish room that sits on the top shelf of a double stacked set, I had to sit the canister filter on an upside down milk crate to get it close enough so the hoses weren't stretched too much.