Corydoras Stocking

Tyler LaZerte

After thinking it through, I definitely want to add some corys to my new 16 gal. It's 24"x 12"x 14". This is my stocking idea list:

20 Celestial Pearl Danios

20 Neocaridina davidii "Blue Dream"

3 Otocinclus vittatus

1 Red Racer Nerites Snail

1 Batik Nerite Snail

3 Zebra Thorn Nerite Snails

1 Black Devil Snail

1 Cappuccino Snail

1 White Wizard Snail

1 King Koopa Nerite Snail

1 Yellow Giant Sulawesi Rabbit Snail

With these creatures in mind, what would you take away or lower numbers on so I can have a group of corys? I'm thinking Corydoras panda as a strong option. 

My worry about all those nerite snails in a 16 gallon is that they won't have enough food to sustain themselves. They are biofilm and algae eaters, and I bet two nerites would be more than enough to clean your tank. You might want to slim down your nerite snail population. I'm not sure about the other snails so much as I don't own any of them myself, but if they will eat supplemental food, then they are probably safer to keep than a lot of nerites in a 16 gallon.

• Thanks 1

if you want a few cory's, id drop the number of cpds down to about a dozen and totally eliminate the ottos, as the ottos are going to be in competition with the snails any ways. that would give you some room for a school of pygmy or hasbrosus cory's.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

My worry about all those nerite snails in a 16 gallon is that they won't have enough food to sustain themselves. They are biofilm and algae eaters, and I bet two nerites would be more than enough to clean your tank. You might want to slim down your nerite snail population. I'm not sure about the other snails so much as I don't own any of them myself, but if they will eat supplemental food, then they are probably safer to keep than a lot of nerites in a 16 gallon.

Okay then I may just keep the red racer, batik, and king koopa. The other snails will eat vegetables and algae wafers. 

40 minutes ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

Okay then I may just keep the red racer, batik, and king koopa. The other snails will eat vegetables and algae wafers. 

That sounds like a great start! If you see you still have enough algae after having the three snails for a few weeks, you can think about adding the thorned nerites. 🙂 Just stock in stages and you can see how the snails do and make sure they're getting enough to eat. Love your snail stocking, by the way. I adore my snails (mystery and 2 nerites right now, along with bladder snails) and want to get more!

1 minute ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

@laritheloud Thank you! This is my first aquarium and from doing research, I have come to really love inverts! I can't wait to get the snails and then some shrimp. Eventually I will get the cpds and corys too! 

I have a 29 gallon with 6 cory cats and they are sooooo worth it. The most adorable little bumbling sweethearts ever. But the mystery snail is one of my faves to watch. I only have one, but I definitely want to pick up another color the next time I'm at my LFS!

I hope to start a neocaridina shrimp tank someday, but I don't think it's a good idea to throw tiny shrimp in with hungry tetras. 🤣