If ich spots reappear during treatment, is the treatment failing?

novembers_doom6

Hello!

Two days ago, my electric blue acara developed three or four small white spots. Three of my tetras also had one or two white spots show up.

I slowly cranked my temperature to 86° F, hoping to kill the ich. The next day, the spots were gone. Then, the day after, three tetras again have a small white spot or two. My angelfish also had a small spot show up, but it's now gone.

Does this mean the heat treatment is not working, if the spots reappeared on the tetras and also showed up on the angelfish? Should I wait and see if they disappear again before assuming it isn't working? I'm considering trying Ich-X in combination with the heat, but nowhere near me sells it, so I'll have to order it online and wait a few days for arrival.

Also, should I consider that it isn't ich at all? Some of the spots honestly seem slightly large and raised compared to the characteristic grains of salt, but then I've never had ich before for comparison. And the majority of fish haven't had any spots or symptoms, only these few. From what I've read, ich tends to spread quickly and aggressively. I have noticed a little bit of flashing from the infected acara and also my pleco, who seem to be acting slightly strange, but that could also be due to the heat, and also could be symptomatic of other ailments. They are otherwise eating and active like normal.

Here are more details

60 gallon planted tank with one angelfish, one electric blue acara, one firemouth, one snowball pleco, 12 black skirt tetras, 11 glowlight tetras, and several nerite snails.

pH: 6.8. Ammonia: 0. Nitrites: 0. Nitrates: 20-30 ppm. Temperature: Normally 78-79° F, currently 86-87° F. GH: 4. KH: 0.

Edited by novembers_doom6

It's always good to post a picture if you can so we can also see the spots and possibly help you diagnose.

I've had Ich 2x in 2 different tanks. So, if you look into the life cycle if it is indeed Ich, is that the scabs form OVER the ich virus (the Ich CANNOT be killed during this stage), within a day or two  DURING HEAT TREATMENT those scabs fall off, and eggs fall out into your substrate, when they hatch a day-few days later they start swiming around looking for a host fish to form more scabs and multiply****THIS is when it's most vunerable to MEDICATED treatment- be it SALT, ICH X, API SUPER ICK (I used API Super Ick and it worked for me) or whatever medication you choose. I don't think, but correct me if I'm wrong forum, the heat ALONE kills ich, all it does is speed up the life cycle- hence the white spots going away quickly for you- and hopefully the fish get thru treatment FASTER. So what you are seeing is that within a day or few days the eggs have now hatched and have found other hosts, and the whole things starts again. You may be able to salt the tank if you have no other meds, I believe Co-Op has a page with that information. 

Yes your fish are going to flash cause I'm sure that stuff itches, and some may be a bit deprived of oxygen because the higher the temp the less there is- so turn up the bubblers. Watch your ammonia levels because decay is sped up when it's hot- I had to do water changes and remedicate the tank when going through treatment. The advice I got was you can stop treatment if you haven't seen any signs of Ich for at least 7 days- for me it was at least 14 or 15 days nail biting- but everyone made it out alive. 

Good luck!!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response! Here are pictures of two tetras. One has the white spot near the tail fin, another near the top fin. These don't seem like the same location they were before.

I do know the angelfish always used to get white "pimples," which sort of look like this. They were bigger and more raised than ich spots, they went away within a a few hours to a few days or weeks. It seemed like a skin condition of some sort, perhaps brought on by stress but I determined it was probably nothing serious. I did a salt dip with him one time and that seemed to clear it right up. However, I've never seen it on any other fish till now, when I have several of these spots showing up at once on multiple fish. And some of the spots do appear smaller than others, more ich-like.

Also with plants and snails, I'm sort of hesitant to use salt in the main tank. I may try calling a few more stores tomorrow and see what's available, otherwise, I may try ordering something online and hope for quick delivery.

20210428_185624.jpg

20210428_184841.jpg

20210428_184931.jpg

Edited by novembers_doom6

Well, from what *I* can see on the pics it looks like the beginnings of Ich, they typically start on fins but I've seen plenty on bodies in my experience. If that's all you have right now it's close to beginning stages it's after those white spots disappear you have your chance of killing it. If you have aquarim salt I'd look into dosage for treating Ich. I removed my snails during Ich treatment***

We'll see if anyone else concurs with my "diagnosis".

• Thanks 1