Troubleshooting USB Nano air pump

NetBelleAnie

So, I was using one of Cory's USB Nano air pumps overnight, plugged into the power outlet via the USB charger it came with to work on a large spongefilter, where the output seems lower than the Tetra Whisper 10.  I came back the next morning and the pump was off and it would not turn back on.  I tried charging it on another USB powerstip, but it won't do anything still.   Am I doing something wrong or is mine defective?

@NetBelleAnie If I am not mistaken they are not capable of holding a charge. To use in a power outage they would need to be paired with portable USB power pack sold separate. I may be misunderstanding you though. 

I did have a brief issue with mine where I had the valve turned really low and it stopped working. I opened the valve and tapped it and it came back on. I since moved to a never clog airstone and it seems much happier at the lower valve settings. 

I have had one that just stopped working on me, I reached out to Candi and she took care of me.  She said she has heard from another customer that sometimes they need a good smack, like on a shelf or counter.  That didn't work for me in that instance.  

I've also had other ones be finicky, like they'll work fine and I'll unplug them and move them, and then they refuse to come back on when I replug them in.  So I like these for convenience and price point, but I feel like they're not the most reliable airpump.   

Probably like 2 out of 5-6 for me have died/been duds.

(I was busy getting my second Covid shot yesterday, sorry for the late response)  I had it hanging from the tank light, plugged into a nearby power outlet, specifically the cord was plugged into the red usb when it died/would not come back on.  I tried it again to take the picture and plugged it into the blue usb, and it started working when plugged in.  I don't know why it wouldn't work though for a time period, since I don't remember doing anything to make it start or stop again.

20210430_015144.jpg

20210430_015157.jpg

• Like 1

@NetBelleAnie if you have a different usb power adapter, like for a phone charger, you can try using it instead of the adapter it came with. One of the usb pumps I purchased would only stay on if I wiggled the plug juuuuust right... but when I switched the power adapter out, it worked just fine.

AAA673F7-464D-468C-A6B1-ED763CAAC332.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If your pump stops, most probably it will start working back again by simply knocking at it hard. I was surprised too 😛
I tried and unwrapped the rubber cover to see if any wiring had gone bad. It was all okay inside. The adapter was also working fine. I read the comments here on forums and finally tried slapping it against the wall a bit, and done. It started working again. 

Right after it started working, I put the rubber cover back on again. It stopped once more. Knocked on the wall again and works fine now. Writing this post after a day. 😊

• Haha 1