Bladder snail hitch hikers

Tony ynoT

Had a few bladder snails hitch hike on some plants a got and now their just getting out of hand. How do I get rid of them. I have mystery snails as well as a pack of albino corys, a pair of guppies and rubber lip plecos all in the same tank with them . Any suggestion are welcome. T I A 

There population will be limited by availablity of food if your over feeding your fish then the end result will be bladder snail over population you can add assassin's snails they will help keep the snails your control

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tony ynoT said:

Had a few bladder snails hitch hike on some plants a got and now their just getting out of hand. How do I get rid of them. I have mystery snails as well as a pack of albino corys, a pair of guppies and rubber lip plecos all in the same tank with them . Any suggestion are welcome. T I A 

I would recommend assassin snails they are really effective at taking care of snail problems, especially with bladder snails. Another easier solution would be to feed a little less food so that the snail population doesn't grow anymore.

• Like 2

Getting rid of them is quite a process. You can try trapping them with snail traps/pieces of veggie at the bottom, pluck them out as you see them, etc.

It's a lot easier to reduce their food supply and let their numbers naturally regulate. They typically boom in population and then die off to reach an equilibrium with their food supply. They do a fantastic job keeping the tank clean, once their numbers are under control, so many people choose to keep them on purpose.

• Like 2

I wouldn't bother to get rid of them, honestly.  

IMO, they are a valuable part of my miniature aquatic biome.  They eat excess algae, and keep my plants clean.  They don't eat healthy plants.  And when they do eat other gunk at the bottom of my tank, they make it more bioavailable as fertilizer for my plants.  I also think they are entertaining to watch.

If you get huge booms in population of snails, it probably means that you are putting in too much food.  Bladder snails will boom in population when there is a lot of food around, and die back when there is less food available.  

• Like 1