Jump to content

Mistake on making DIY wood aquarium stand


Recommended Posts

Hi all. I'm very new to any woodworking, but I consider myself to be fairly handy, so I decided to try and make a DIY aquarium rack/stand as shown by King of DIY in this video: 


My rack will be designed for 20 gal aquariums.
So I was all proud of myself because I went to the hardware store and rented a miter saw to cut my wood up (the guy at the cutting center looked like he was high as a kite- better for him not to be operating dangerous machinery.) I started putting things together last night, really proud of myself because I even used wood glue in addition to the screws. I managed to finish all three platforms.
Well I realized today that I put it together wrong. When making the frames for the aquarium to sit on, I should have used a shorter piece (which, yes, I had already cut.) I just got so excited to put things together that I didn't double check the tutorial. 
Normally I would just unscrew the piece and then screw it into the correct piece. But isn't that going to be a problem since I used wood glue? Is wood glue water soluble? How much of a pain is it to take it apart, or should I just throw it out and start again with new wood? (I did make a mistake when cutting one of the pieces- not sure how, but it ended up too long.) I do not have easy access to any cutting tool- just a hand saw and miter box. My husband and I tried to cut some of the 2x4s that way and it was not a realistic way to make the cuts. Just too labor intensive. I haven't been able to find anyone I know who happens to have a good power tool to do the job, so I would have to rent the tool again.
I'm certain I can't be the first person to make this mistake. Hoping someone out there with some woodworking experience can help me out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I don't want to poo poo on that design but I feel this is a much better design.  No glue needed, all the weight is supported directly from the floor and not nails/screws/bolts & glue.  I'm going to use this design for my 210 gallon.

 

Joey shows this design as well for his larger tanks. If I was doing something bigger, I would be all for it. That said, I'm already pretty deep on the current build and am not planning on changing the design at the moment (unless it is unsalvagable. In which case I'd essentially be starting over anyway.) I'll keep it in mind for a second stand if I choose to make one.

Edited by Kat_Rigel
Misspelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not super experienced but I’m in the middle of a stand build right now too. In terms of how tough it will be to get the wood apart, it probably depends on how nice the glue is. We have some regular wood glue and then some INTENSE wood glue that will not ever let go.

Which part is too long? The front edge of the frame or the side?

And how long has it been curing? If it’s less than 24 hours it may still be soft-ish.

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

I’m not super experienced but I’m in the middle of a stand build right now too. In terms of how tough it will be to get the wood apart, it probably depends on how nice the glue is. We have some regular wood glue and then some INTENSE wood glue that will not ever let go.

Which part is too long? The front edge of the frame or the side?

And how long has it been curing? If it’s less than 24 hours it may still be soft-ish.

So the front and back parts are correct but I accidentally used 13" pieces on the sides (the right and left of the tank) instead of the 10" piece. I was supposed to use the 13" pieces as supports according to the tutorial. Unfortunately it has been sitting for 24 hours and is pretty well cured at this point. 

Oh... and I stripped two of the screws trying to get them out. 😕 I might still be able to extract them but, uh, I guess I messed it up a little.

 

22 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

Hi Kay, I’m a wooden boat restorer, I don’t think it’ll be much of a problem getting the bits apart. Just remove the screws and pry it apart with a chisel or small pry bar. You’ll probably have some tear out depending on how well you glued it, but maybe you can hide that in the back. 
 

 

Thank you, this gives me some hope.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, you may want to consider checking craigslist for used miter saws in your area. I just checked my local one and found four decent if cheap looking 10" blade models (craftsman, ryobi, etc.) for between $25 and $50. There were a few nicer ones listed for $75. Also doesn't hurt to ask if they'd knock $5-10 off the price, most of the time on craigslist people will. You can also do all those cuts with a speed square and a circular saw with a steady hand and a bit of practice. Unless you live in Vermont, in which case I'd say just come over!

Edited by ererer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stripped screws can be annoying but they can be removed if the head isn’t totally stripped. Make sure your screwdriver is the right size. Put it in the screw and give it a good hit with a hammer, then using lots of pressure unscrew it slowly. If the head is completely stripped you’ll need to cut the screw or use a screw extractor. 
 

If I were in a position where I had limited tools I’d probably just go to the Lowe’s and have them cut a new piece. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They sell nifty little screw extractors.

https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Extractor-Stripped-Remover-Adapter/dp/B08YK3Z3VH/ref=sr_1_6?crid=385IUZ0YPRQXO&dchild=1&keywords=screw+remover+and+extractor&qid=1619585377&sprefix=screw+remover%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-6

I randomly picked these ones to show you what I mean, any hardware store will have them, one at a time and cheaper. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ken said:

They sell nifty little screw extractors.

https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Extractor-Stripped-Remover-Adapter/dp/B08YK3Z3VH/ref=sr_1_6?crid=385IUZ0YPRQXO&dchild=1&keywords=screw+remover+and+extractor&qid=1619585377&sprefix=screw+remover%2Caps%2C240&sr=8-6

I randomly picked these ones to show you what I mean, any hardware store will have them, one at a time and cheaper. 

I forgot to say I've tried all the tricks to remove screws with stripped heads, these things really work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure where you live, but maybe there is someone on here that isn't too far away, or do you have a local fish club, or maybe a group on Facebook or something? I am thinking that maybe if you put out an SOS that maybe someone nearby would be able to help you get the pieces cut. I am lucky and have a pretty good selection of hand and power tools to build stuff, and have helped out a couple people in my local club who didn't have a miter saw to cut wood, and another who lived in an apartment, so no place to run saws and build a stand. If you're around NW Ohio or SE MI I can help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I am not sure where you live, but maybe there is someone on here that isn't too far away, or do you have a local fish club, or maybe a group on Facebook or something? I am thinking that maybe if you put out an SOS that maybe someone nearby would be able to help you get the pieces cut. I am lucky and have a pretty good selection of hand and power tools to build stuff, and have helped out a couple people in my local club who didn't have a miter saw to cut wood, and another who lived in an apartment, so no place to run saws and build a stand. If you're around NW Ohio or SE MI I can help.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. I'm in Northern California though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an update. I was able to get most of the screws out, but one of them is being incredibly stubborn and everything I have tried has only made it worse. I bought the screw extractor but didn't have much luck. This is probably because I was cheap and only bought one size- I should have bought the set. I tried drilling down to create a new area for it to grip but it didn't seem to help. My next try will be to use a dremel to basically cut a flat head opening, but I am trying to be reasonably nice to my neighbors by limiting myself to 1 to 1.5 hrs of power tools during the weekday, so I'll try again tomorrow. I did manage to get it out about an inch but it is in there tight.

Made a moderate effort to pry apart the wood from the wood glue and it seems really solid. I read that rubbing alcohol or water can dissolve it so I may need to do something like that.

22 hours ago, ererer said:

Also, you may want to consider checking craigslist for used miter saws in your area. I just checked my local one and found four decent if cheap looking 10" blade models (craftsman, ryobi, etc.) for between $25 and $50. There were a few nicer ones listed for $75. Also doesn't hurt to ask if they'd knock $5-10 off the price, most of the time on craigslist people will. You can also do all those cuts with a speed square and a circular saw with a steady hand and a bit of practice. Unless you live in Vermont, in which case I'd say just come over!

This craigslist tip was a really good one, I haven't made any contacts yet but there are lots of tools for sale in my area at a good price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...