Breeding Mystery Snails

Sombat

That looks like a betta bubble nest to me.  The mystery snail egg clutch will be above the water line and looks like very distinct light pink oblong bunch of bubbles.  Kinda like a beehive or wasps nest. You may want to lower your water level a little more to about 2/2.5 inches to give the snail plenty of room to come up out of the water and lay her eggs. 

With a lid, you can leave the eggs there and see what happens, or you may want to pull them after a day and "incubate" them.  Rachel O'Leary has a helpful video showing how she does it.  Assuming you want 100s of little baby mystery snails. 🙂  

• Like 1

snails don't build bubble nest. they will lay the egg clutches on the lid of your tank (usually); though sometime they will climb out to find a better place to lay eggs 😉

-

The eggs can't be kept wet but they do need to be kept moist.... and if per chance you miss a clutch at the back of your tank you might discover a 100 little yellow snails crawling around.... 

Added a few more snails to the mix hoping at least one female is now in the tank. Within a day they all have “grouped up”. I’m a bit concerned at the twitching behavior. Is this normal during mating or this a bit of aggressiveness.  They seem to group up a lot. 

I tried to attach a video to show but it’s too large to upload so I will just attach a photo. Basically I’m concerned about the snails twitching sided to side as if it’s trying to shake the mounted snail off its back. 

9AE3A94B-6ECE-4FBC-A630-21419B0F5EFD.jpeg

Today 05/10/2021 observed my first clutch. It’s an exciting day for me. My wife opened the lid to the tank to get a better view. Doing so we found that the clutch split apart. I hope they will still hatch safely. What should I do next?  How long before they hatch?

0830E06D-F319-4363-9FD1-17C071A678E2.jpeg

7026E3A0-0F18-45D0-9584-1B681D8E7D8B.jpeg

• Like 1

Greetings everyone. It’s been about a week since my last post. My snails had placed a couple of clutches. But since that first observation, I now have five clutches. Sadly I found a small portion of the first clutch had fallen into the tank water. My intention was to not interfere with the process but after learning that the snails would drown I couldn’t do nothing. I pulled the submerged clutch out and placed it on a dry paper towel and Tupperware container. During process of fetching the clutch I knocked another clutch off the side and it too fell into the tank water. I got both clutches out and onto the dry paper towel. I’m wondering if there was any damage done being fully submerged had killed all the baby snails. I learned how to make an incubator and now have them in the incubator floating in my main tank. What are the chances they survived?  I still have several clutches above the water line in its original location. 

image.jpg

Edited by Sombat
Uploaded photo

Greetings everyone. It’s been about a week since my last post. My snails had placed a couple of clutches. But since that first observation I now have five clutches. Sadly I found a small portion of the first clutch had fallen into the tank water. My intention was to not interfere with the process but after learning that the snails would drown I couldn’t do nothing. I pulled the submerged clutch out and placed it on a dry paper towel and Tupperware container. During process of fetching the clutch I knocked another clutch off the side and it too fell into the tank water. I got both clutches out and onto the dry paper towel. I’m wondering if there was any damage done being fully submerged had killed all the baby snails. I learned how to make an incubator and now have them in the incubator floating in my main tank. What are the chances they survived?  I still have several clutches above the water line in its original location. 

Does any know if the snail babies could survive after being submerged?