Is butter a condiment?

TheDukeAnumber1

Is butter a condiment?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is butter a condiment?

• Yes, butter is a condiment.
    • No, butter is not a condiment.

new answer 

I say it depends on what you are using it for. Google definition for condiments "a substance such as salt or ketchup that is used to add flavor to food." so if you are using it on popcorn or corn I say yes but for making cookies or other baked foods where butter is added before the actual baking then no.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I disagree with the argument there, I'd say that toppings are a distinct category and that do not necessarily make something a condiment too.

I am surprised that a man of such judgement and learning could fall for the splitters fallacy. Clearly the existence of other categories does not preclude a thing from being a member of more than one category. Thus:

image.png.211b4ce9749d239558aeb4ae00089601.png

Obviously* image.png.9762ac23d3dfbee32640df9884122684.png

• Haha 10

O Daniel, flattery will get you everywhere, but calling a fallacy early is unwise. A surprise coming from a graybeard held in such high esteem.

I am simply pointing out that since "butter = topping" it does not logically follow that "butter = condiment". If you wish to make the argument that "butter = condiment" then you must by another route. 🙂

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
spelling
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

O Daniel, flattery will get you everywhere, but calling a fallacy early is unwise. A surprise coming from a graybeard held in such high esteem.

I am simply pointing out that since "butter = topping" it does not logically follow that "butter = condament". If you wish to make the argument that "butter = condament" then you you must by another route. 🙂

Agreed, perhaps we can agree on definitions? According to my trusty OED:

image.png.532f06327a70259397fffe65a80d747c.png

I have to pick up sushi for dinner, but when I get back, I will look up toppings.

This thread is amazing.  I initially went with no, but the thread has been most thought provoking.

I’d have to say one of the many uses for butter is indeed its application as a condiment, but butter is not singularly a condiment. I’m a dietitian, not a linguist 😂

Perhaps @Daniel could be kind enough to post the OED definition of butter to add further clarification to this important issue. 

Could one say cucumbers are condimental to relish? I need to integrate this word into my vocabulary. Perhaps make an ornate sign for my cucumber patch that reads “condimentals”? May as well turn it into a noun 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, skipper said:

This thread is amazing.  I initially went with no, but the thread has been most thought provoking.

I’d have to say one of the many uses for butter is indeed its application as a condiment, but butter is not singularly a condiment. I’m a dietitian, not a linguist 😂

Perhaps @Daniel could be kind enough to post the OED definition of butter to add further clarification to this important issue. 

Could one say cucumbers are condimental to relish? I need to integrate this word into my vocabulary. Perhaps make an ornate sign for my cucumber patch that reads “condimentals”? May as well turn it into a noun 😂

I think the definition of 'butter' goes on for 20 pages...

• Confused 1