How to Fit a HOB Filter

CalmedByFish

I'll be getting a tank that's 1" thick acrylic. The water itself will be 33" long, and 16" deep. 

I prefer to use a hang-on-back filter, but a 1" rim would require the filter to be pretty big. If I could get a big one and turn the power down, I think that might work. Is there such a thing as a HOB that has adjustable flow?

The Marineland Pro 275 I have on my 40 breeder ( 36" long 18" front to back and 16" deep) can be turned down to the point I can just see movement in the plants. The rim on my tank is .95", it might work on your 1". The not Pro models are not flow adjustable. 

10 hours ago, Ken said:

The Marineland Pro 275 I have on my 40 breeder ( 36" long 18" front to back and 16" deep) can be turned down to the point I can just see movement in the plants. The rim on my tank is .95", it might work on your 1". The not Pro models are not flow adjustable. 

Ken, could you take measurements for me? I'm not finding them online. We're actually cutting a custom-size slot in the top acrylic panel. I would need the length of the filter (where it sits on the rim), and the distance from the inner edge of the tank surface, to the front of the filter. 

If you don't have time, no worries at all.

I'm even wondering if I might use a smaller filter, and cut some of the plastic on it a bit to make it fit over the 1" acrylic side. (Cuz who needs a warranty anyway! 😜)

I just measured my rim thickness in several more spots and it varies from .90" to .95". My cutout is 1-5/8" X 9-1/2". Your full 1" rim thickness worries me. I have the extruded plastic rim that isn't full width for it's whole depth and I wonder if that matters. I don't have anything exactly an inch thick to try it on to be sure. I would really want to have my filter of choice in the hands of the person building the tank.

Mine came from Amazon.

@Ken I really appreciate you getting that info for me. Having just recently measured my filters, I know it's a bit tedious. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Ken said:

Your full 1" rim thickness worries me.

I agree. Yet, I need to prioritize the tank far higher than the filter. I'd be okay with just doing Co-Op style sponge filters if I need to, and I've asked that a 1/2" hole be drilled in each back corner in case I decide to put air tubing in there. I'd been concerned that I wouldn't be able to use something like carbon or Seachem resin if the need arises, but then it occurred to me this morning that I could keep a small submersible filter on hand to use as needed. So I think even that "what if" is decently planned for.

Anyway, thanks again. That gives me some clarity with which to plan ahead.