Hiya

New to the hobby. Husband bought a tank for the kids, added water, glo fish and  food...voila a week later they had all crossed the rainbow bridge.

I took over the aquarium like all other living things in our home. I did my homework, fishless cycled the tank, threw out the spongebob decor and opted for live plants, lava rock and driftwood. 

My tank was spotless, cycled and ready for me to decide what fish I wanted when I noticed teeny tiny things on the glass.  Snails, bladder snails...lots of tiny snails. If I took out 5 the next day there were 10, I couldn't keep up and needed help. Help arrived in the form of a single yoyo loach...he saved the day and eradicated the snails...all was right in the world. 

Eventually Yoyo got bored playing with the giant mystery snail and so I brought home some playmates, more yoyos of course.

They have been together for several months now, the original yoyo and a newbie are getting big and fat. The littlest one has struggled, he has never grown bigger than an inch, he would have a good stretch for a few weeks and then I would find him gasping at the top or laying down, he would be quarantined and treated, I would stay up watching so if he passed he wasn't alone but he would always make a comeback. This time he isn't getting better, he is getting progressively worse and is suffering. I have to put him down and it sucks. 

Sorry for the long intro, I think it is my way of stalling. Keep baby fish in your thoughts please.

-Tara

Edited by SoCal_Tara
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, SoCal_Tara said:

New to the hobby. Husband bought a tank for the kids, added water, glo fish and  food...voila a week later they had all crossed the rainbow bridge.

I took over the aquarium like all other living things in our home. I did my homework, fishless cycled the tank, threw out the spongebob decor and opted for live plants, lava rock and driftwood. 

My tank was spotless, cycled and ready for me to decide what fish I wanted when I noticed teeny tiny things on the glass.  Snails, bladder snails...lots of tiny snails. If I took out 5 the next day there were 10, I couldn't keep up and needed help. Help arrived in the form of a single yoyo loach...he saved the day and eradicated the snails...all was right in the world. 

Eventually Yoyo got bored playing with the giant mystery snail and so I brought home some playmates, more yoyos of course.

They have been together for several months now, the original yoyo and a newbie are getting big and fat. The littlest one has struggled, he has never grown bigger than an inch, he would have a good stretch for a few weeks and then I would find him gasping at the top or laying down, he would be quarantined and treated, I would stay up watching so if he passed he wasn't alone but he would always make a comeback. This time he isn't getting better, he is getting progressively worse and is suffering. I have to put him down and it sucks. 

Sorry for the long intro, I think it is my way of stalling. Keep baby fish in your thoughts please.

-Tara

Hey there, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place! From what I've read, loaches are known to behave oddly by perching in odd spots or playing dead. You might just leave him be and see how he does. Another possible cause for this behavior could be stress. I doubt it's water parameters, as you said your other loaches are doing fine. Have the other fish been bullying him at all?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Hey there, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place! From what I've read, loaches are known to behave oddly by perching in odd spots or playing dead. You might just leave him be and see how he does. Another possible cause for this behavior could be stress. I doubt it's water parameters, as you said your other loaches are doing fine. Have the other fish been bullying him at all?

Behaving oddly is putting it mildly, they are insane, amusing and that is what made me love them.

Water parameters are fine, he is a loaner and the other 2 leave him alone.

I believe he was either born with something wrong or had it before I brought him home. He has grown maybe half an inch, he would be "normal" ( loach normal) and then start flashing out of control, would have weird spasms like he had no control of the back half of his body, he swam vertically, if he wasn't anchored under something he would float upside down.  Not all at the same time, it was one starts and stops, the other starts and so on. 

I researched and went to local fish stores with video for help. He would get better but this last time was too much, he doesn't swim just sits on his back on the bottom, today there is cotton fungus on his tail, he is wasting away and treating him is doing more harm than good. 

Thank you for your input 🙂 

3 minutes ago, SoCal_Tara said:

Behaving oddly is putting it mildly, they are insane, amusing and that is what made me love them.

Water parameters are fine, he is a loaner and the other 2 leave him alone.

I believe he was either born with something wrong or had it before I brought him home. He has grown maybe half an inch, he would be "normal" ( loach normal) and then start flashing out of control, would have weird spasms like he had no control of the back half of his body, he swam vertically, if he wasn't anchored under something he would float upside down.  Not all at the same time, it was one starts and stops, the other starts and so on. 

I researched and went to local fish stores with video for help. He would get better but this last time was too much, he doesn't swim just sits on his back on the bottom, today there is cotton fungus on his tail, he is wasting away and treating him is doing more harm than good. 

Thank you for your input 🙂 

I'm sorry I do not know much about treating specific diseases. But here's a video that could help:

• Like 1