Fish-Out-of-Water Shots

Kirsten

I generally love shopping for fish online. I like being able to take my time, do my research, and get the exact kind of fish I want. But one thing I don't understand is why so many sellers will have shots of a fish in their hand or a bunch of fish in a net out of the water. I feel so bad for the distressed fish, and still doesn't show colors or size very well, at least in my opinion. Why do so many fish sellers use them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

I generally love shopping for fish online. I like being able to take my time, do my research, and get the exact kind of fish I want. But one thing I don't understand is why so many sellers will have shots of a fish in their hand or a bunch of fish in a net out of the water. I feel so bad for the distressed fish, and still doesn't show colors or size very well, at least in my opinion. Why do so many fish sellers use them?

I wonder this too! I see pictures like this in aquarium fish profiles too, especially for the more rare of hard to capture on camera species. I believe that they take shots like this to get a better view of the fish (no hiding spots, no murky water) and so that they can keep them in one place too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I wonder this too! I see pictures like this in aquarium fish profiles too, especially for the more rare of hard to capture on camera species. I believe that they take shots like this to get a better view of the fish (no hiding spots, no murky water) and so that they can keep them in one place too.

That must be it. Maybe also "proof" that the fish is actually there and they're taking their own pictures, since it's not very aesthetic a shot? If that's the case, wish they'd just put their hand in the water or something less stressful to the fish. Ah well!

• Like 1

Not sure why someone would take the photo out of water, but when I am moving my goldfish around or need to inspect an area of their body I just pick them up by hand, it is far less stressful than a net.the get used to me from feedings and don’t really care about being handled. It is very useful for them to be used to that because sometimes the males can cause issues to the females during breeding and handling the, to administer topical meds helps

• Like 2