My Black Skirt Tetras

jmp3475

I just recently got 2 more BST's yesterday to bring my school to 5 in total if that is a factor. Though, after I acclimated the new guys to the tank and put them in with the other 3 they immediately schooled and swam around the tank together. Now they are not and I was just wondering if it's normal behavior for my BST's to spread out like that and  claim their own territory within the tank

1 hour ago, jmp3475 said:

I just recently got 2 more BST's yesterday to bring my school to 5 in total if that is a factor. Though, after I acclimated the new guys to the tank and put them in with the other 3 they immediately schooled and swam around the tank together. Now they are not and I was just wondering if it's normal behavior for my BST's to spread out like that and  claim their own territory within the tank

They  will need time to settle down and feel secure

I have 6 BSTs in my tank that I have had for almost a year. They are kind of all over the place. Sometimes they swim together as a school and other times they don't. They are larger than most of the other fish in that tank. In my opinion, I feel if you don't have fish that are bigger than them in the tank, they will likely school less than they would if there were larger fish in the tank. Also a larger number would probably cause them to school more. Most fish school for protection and to look larger.