Hello from South Bend, IN

Hello all,

I have been watching aquarium coop for a few years now and just now decided to join the forum.

I have been keeping fish on and off for the last 15 years (I'm only 27). I currently have 3 tanks running, a 6g cube, 10g, and a 40g breeder. The 6g and 10g were setup within the past 2 months, they both were originally setup for domesticated betta's. The 10g is more of a community tank however with kubotai rasboras and pygmy cories. The 40g breeder has been up for over a year and has a group of N. Multifasciatus. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:33 AM, Isaac M said:

Welcome to the forum @SkaleyAquatics, I have yet to keep multies but maybe they are still settling in? They look like an interesting fish to keep, how do you like them so far? Any interesting behaviors? 

Well I have had them for over a year now and they figured out how to be good parents after a few batches. 

I enough them. They don't dig and I believe that is my fault as they have argonite as the substrate. So the only interesting behavior I observe is them chasing each other. 

7 hours ago, SkaleyAquatics said:

Well I have had them for over a year now and they figured out how to be good parents after a few batches. 

I enough them. They don't dig and I believe that is my fault as they have argonite as the substrate. So the only interesting behavior I observe is them chasing each other. 

@SkaleyAquatics Welcome to the forum! I have a 10g tank of multies, with two breeding pairs. It took 6-9 months for them to settle in and really start breeding, now I have easily over 30 fry and I plan to move the colony to a 55g soon. I noticed they started breeding more prolifically when I started buffering my water with epsom salt and baking soda. My tap is 7.4 ph, 4 kh, 7gh, I add 1 tsp each of epsom salt and baking soda to a 5 gallon bucket when I do water changes to increase ph to 8.2, kh to 14, and gh to 18. I've also bumped the temp up from 75 to 78, and I feed Xtreme krill flakes 3 times per day, which they devour voraciously. It could have been the temp changes, the water parameter changes, or using better food, or none of those that helped get them breeding more. It would be cool to see a 40 breeder with one big multi colony! They are easily one of my favorite fish.

Also, if you have an ACE hardware nearby, you can buy a 50 lbs bag of HTH Pool Filter Sand for like $13, and mix that with your aragonite to see if the dig more. Mine love moving their sand bed (they scoop up sand and spit it out) around to create pits for the shells they live in, and are constantly carrying MTS snails or bits of susswassertang out of their areas to the edges of the tank! You should post up some pictures of your tanks in the Journal section of the forum.

Edited by ererer