Galvanized tub for pond?

Sassyhippo

I did a search and this hasn’t been talked about a lot here. As summer approaches and outdoor tubs are all the rage I’m hoping we can get a little in-depth. From what I’ve found in the limited information on the internet the main concern here is zinc leaching into the water. Ive also read it has a lot to do with water hardness and PH as well. A lower ph with softer water will cause the zinc to breakdown as it protects the tub from rust. 
2 main options seem to be a pond liner or using an epoxy to seal the tank. I wanted to set this up and monitor for a couple of weeks before adding guppies. I honestly don’t want to use epoxy because of the expense and work involved but a pond liner might pose its own problems as well with trapping moisture between the liner and tub. 
Some say it will also cook the fish come hot summer months. I don’t think this is as much of a concern as so many think but we’ll see? Anybody know for sure galvanized gets hotter than the black plastic ones? Here’s my set up so far. I probably only need this to last 2-3 years  at most before I do something more permanent. 

A309F19C-DED9-4930-8C9E-8A5BF20D91C3.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Sassyhippo said:

I did a search and this hasn’t been talked about a lot here. As summer approaches and outdoor tubs are all the rage I’m hoping we can get a little in-depth. From what I’ve found in the limited information on the internet the main concern here is zinc leaching into the water. Ive also read it has a lot to do with water hardness and PH as well. A lower ph with softer water will cause the zinc to breakdown as it protects the tub from rust. 
2 main options seem to be a pond liner or using an epoxy to seal the tank. I wanted to set this up and monitor for a couple of weeks before adding guppies. I honestly don’t want to use epoxy because of the expense and work involved but a pond liner might pose its own problems as well with trapping moisture between the liner and tub. 
Some say it will also cook the fish come hot summer months. I don’t think this is as much of a concern as so many think but we’ll see? Anybody know for sure galvanized gets hotter than the black plastic ones? Here’s my set up so far. I probably only need this to last 2-3 years  at most before I do something more permanent. 

A309F19C-DED9-4930-8C9E-8A5BF20D91C3.jpeg

Not sure if this will breakdown on you fast or not, but in the long run, I’d probably assume the worst.

Rainwater is quite soft. Any metal leeching off those tubs will affect fish health.

Plastic tubs or stock tanks aren’t that expensive. We find ours at Tractor Supply.

No idea on temperature issues with stainless steel vs plastic. Many folks bury tubs 1/2 - 2/3 underground to help regulate temp. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Not sure if this will breakdown on you fast or not, but in the long run, I’d probably assume the worst.

Rainwater is quite soft. Any metal leeching off those tubs will affect fish health.

Plastic tubs or stock tanks aren’t that expensive. We find ours at Tractor Supply.

No idea on temperature issues with stainless steel vs plastic. Many folks bury tubs 1/2 - 2/3 underground to help regulate temp. 

Yeah my main motivation for this tub was the space I had to work with. It’s only barely 4ft wide there. Anything over 100 gallons are shaped weird and wouldn’t fit right and the round ones would be weird in such a long narrow space. I’d have went with plastic if I could find one with dimensions similar to this because you’re right that the price point is actually the same. I’d like to build it myself and dig it down 1-2 feet as early as next year if possible. 
rain water is a good point. I think I might add a liner just to be safe for now. Plus if I’m too busy next summer I won’t have to worry about breaking it down most likely. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

We’re you able to find any data on how much Zinc one can expect over a given time period? 

Sorry it’s been a minute. I added a liner to be safe so I didn’t really investigate further. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Any updates on this? It seems like the oxide formed on galvanized metal should prevent zinc leaching. The only thing I have heard about stock tank issues is heat just from being above ground and oil if you don't clean it well when it's new before using it.