Lipstick Goby's Diet

Jacob B

Hey folks,

The three Lipstick Gobies (1M, 2F) that I bought last week haven't been eating very much. I'm reaching out to the Aquarium Co-op community to see if anyone can give me advice for how to feed them.

From what I've read online, Lipstick Gobies are micro-predators that will only eat high-quality live and frozen foods. I've tried feeding them a variety of different foods with varying levels of success:

• Hikari Frozen blood worms: Only the male will eat these. I have tried to using tweezers to the feed others. 
  • Hikari Frozen Daphnia: The gobies completely ignore these, even when dropped directly beside them with a pipette.
  • Live Baby Brine Shrimp: The gobies eat these but probably not enough with the other fish in my tank. 

Am I missing any obvious foods / feeding techniques? I'd be happy to get any advice on feeding these gobies, and to hear any stories about your own Lipstick Gobies.

Thanks,
Jacob

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 12:23 AM, Jacob B said:

Hey folks,

The three Lipstick Gobies (1M, 2F) that I bought last week haven't been eating very much. I'm reaching out to the Aquarium Co-op community to see if anyone can give me advice for how to feed them.

From what I've read online, Lipstick Gobies are micro-predators that will only eat high-quality live and frozen foods. I've tried feeding them a variety of different foods with varying levels of success:

• Hikari Frozen blood worms: Only the male will eat these. I have tried to using tweezers to the feed others. 
  • Hikari Frozen Daphnia: The gobies completely ignore these, even when dropped directly beside them with a pipette.
  • Live Baby Brine Shrimp: The gobies eat these but probably not enough with the other fish in my tank. 

Am I missing any obvious foods / feeding techniques? I'd be happy to get any advice on feeding these gobies, and to hear any stories about your own Lipstick Gobies.

Thanks,
Jacob

@Jacob B how are the lipstick goby's eating for you now? what are you finding works best? I have some right now that I am trying to  get eating but it seems like they fairly slowly eat and or barely take a bite of something bigger like a bloodworm before spitting some of it out. I've has limited success with the daphnia as well. 

They've been eating live blackworms daily for the past few months without any problems. We haven't had much success feeding them anything dry or frozen, however it seems like they'll also eat live baby brine shrimp, and they would probably like other kinds of live food (white worms, vinegar worms) as well.

Assuming you're in the Seattle area, you can try buying a starter colony of blackworms from Aquarium Zen or Ivy's Axolotls and then breed more at home (we followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7HQVvRn69o). There are also several online retailers, including Ivy's Axolotls, which sell live blackworms online. 

On 9/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, Jacob B said:

F804BCF4-CFE4-4286-A86C-57C1C32724A1.jpeg.acaf2e408e7d4c9d94037dc196289e56.jpeg

Adorable!

You might look into getting white worms.  They are easy to raise and you can easily keep an ongoing supply.  Grindal worms have very similar care to white worms and are smaller if you end up with fry.  You might even try microworms since some smaller fish will eat them even as tiny as they are.

• Thanks 1

I will look into getting some blackworms to try.
I just got some frozen rotifers that I tried today and it looked like they were eating it decently. I also bought some frozen baby brine shrimp that I will try tomorrow. 

I have some cherry shrimp in another tank. Once they breed we will see if they can semi-cohabitate or if they will just decimate the shrimps.