New Platys brought Columnaris w/ them. Help!!

Janelle

I have a quarantine tank set up with plants that I am going to put into my big tank.  I am almost finished hardscaping the tank and then I can add the plants and water.  I purchased 3 platys for my son's tank and put them in the quarantine tank w/ my plants and ran them through an ick treatment.  During that time one of them had babies so now there are fry in the tank too.  Towards the end of the treatment I noticed they started getting fin rot.  So, I started a med trio cycle last Thursday afternoon.  Yesterday I was confident in my suspicions that all 3 platys have columnaris.  😑. This morning one the platys died and the other 2 are starting to display the same hiding sick behavior.

Questions:  

1. Do I euthanize the remaining 2 fish or continue on with the treatment.  They don't look too happy or healthy.
  2. What do I do w/ the fry?  Do you automatically assume they have columnaris too?  One of them is floating at the surface about ready to die.
  3. What about the plants?  Are they now contaminated and is it a terrible idea to use them in my 75gal? 

I am just so worried about messing up my big tank that I have been working on for so long.

Thank you for your insight and help.

16 minutes ago, Janelle said:

I have a quarantine tank set up with plants that I am going to put into my big tank.  I am almost finished hardscaping the tank and then I can add the plants and water.  I purchased 3 platys for my son's tank and put them in the quarantine tank w/ my plants and ran them through an ick treatment.  During that time one of them had babies so now there are fry in the tank too.  Towards the end of the treatment I noticed they started getting fin rot.  So, I started a med trio cycle last Thursday afternoon.  Yesterday I was confident in my suspicions that all 3 platys have columnaris.  😑. This morning one the platys died and the other 2 are starting to display the same hiding sick behavior.

Questions:  

1. Do I euthanize the remaining 2 fish or continue on with the treatment.  They don't look too happy or healthy.
  2. What do I do w/ the fry?  Do you automatically assume they have columnaris too?  One of them is floating at the surface about ready to die.
  3. What about the plants?  Are they now contaminated and is it a terrible idea to use them in my 75gal? 

I am just so worried about messing up my big tank that I have been working on for so long.

Thank you for your insight and help.

Columnaris is a gram negative bacterial infection I would treat with kanaplex and furan 2 together  you may need to do to Course of treatment to cure them

Edited by Colu

I don't think  the med will affect your fry columnaris is highly infectious so I would be extremely careful I would Qarantine or disinfect your plants with 3% hydrogen peroxide dip your plants for 5min and then put them in bucket of freshwater with some dechlorinator for 24hr before adding to another tank

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1