Cory Catfish Suddenly Dying

Pakal

So all my Julii Corys (I had 4) suddenly started dying within the span of a week and I have no idea why. I had them in a 10 gallon with 4 endlers, and a betta for 4-5 months now and they were doing fine. They all got along and there was no aggression at all. I noticed that all the corys that died had red bellies with a white thing in the middle so I think they might have had parasites but I'm not sure. Also, their barbels were still long so I don't think it had to do with my water quality. Here are my water parameters:

Ammonia: Below 0.5

Nitrate: 0-10

Nitrite: 0

PH: 7.0

What kind of substrate are you using? Did you quarantine them first? Did you notice off behavior from the any of the fish? Did you acclimate them properly based on where you got them? A 10 gal is pretty tight to have all those going on but it is possible. 

3 hours ago, Pakal said:

So all my Julii Corys (I had 4) suddenly started dying within the span of a week and I have no idea why. I had them in a 10 gallon with 4 endlers, and a betta for 4-5 months now and they were doing fine. They all got along and there was no aggression at all. I noticed that all the corys that died had red bellies with a white thing in the middle so I think they might have had parasites but I'm not sure. Also, their barbels were still long so I don't think it had to do with my water quality. Here are my water parameters:

Ammonia: Below 0.5

Nitrate: 0-10

Nitrite: 0

PH: 7.0

It could be red blotch disease it is caused by by stress and poor water conditions    it's common in corydoras leading to a a bacterial infection 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grace Shvodian said:

What kind of substrate are you using? Did you quarantine them first? Did you notice off behavior from the any of the fish? Did you acclimate them properly based on where you got them? A 10 gal is pretty tight to have all those going on but it is possible. 

I use gravel (from my research and what cory from aquarium co-op says, gravel is ok). Secondly, I didn't quarantine them since I got them from Aquarium Co-Op and they already quarantine them. Thirdly, I didn't notice any odd behavior. Fourthly, I did acclimate them when I got them.

25 minutes ago, Pakal said:

I use gravel (from my research and what cory from aquarium co-op says, gravel is ok). Secondly, I didn't quarantine them since I got them from Aquarium Co-Op and they already quarantine them. Thirdly, I didn't notice any odd behavior. Fourthly, I did acclimate them when I got them.

Hm. Interesting... For the record, I think gravel is a perfectly okay substrate to use for corys. I do it myself. @Colu might be right that it is red blotch disease.... However, we really know for sure without pictures.