Easy Green for Seedling Starts

skipper

My betta tank sits below my grow light set up, and the shelf around it accumulates the usual clutter of aquarium stuff that I never seem to properly “put away.” One day while tending my anemic pepper seedlings (which received a diluted water soluble 3-2-2 organic fert ~weekly or so, smells less than pleasant, grows mold, clearly was not working, I wasn’t satisfied). The easy green bottle caught my eye... did 1 pump for ~<1 gallon of water, gave it to some of them to see what happened.

Was concerned about some plant burn since it was a super concentrated dose compared to the directions of 1 pump:10 gallons.  Left is old fert right is easy green after a week or so (less than rigorous study design 🙈). Same pepper variety, same seed start date, same lighting, same soil.  Soon switched to giving it to all of them 😂. Did this for a few weeks and the OG Easy Green group has clearly outpaced. WOULD NOT use it for green leafy’s since it’s not made for “people plants.”  The high potassium content (compared to the ratio of N and P, especially compared to garden ferts) didn’t seem to have ill effects. I have no plans on using this long-term for garden plants, because again it’s not made for human consumption plants. It also doesn’t have the correct phos for flowering plants (appropriately so as it’s not made for that). But interesting food for thought that easy green may provide a gentle dose of nitrogen and trace elements without the salts of normal garden ferts, the combination of which may be helpful for starting seedlings.

E033818B-EFE3-447E-AC85-AD5EF46F7948.jpeg

F7C96BB6-110C-49DC-8E2D-C6CC7023B939.jpeg

• Like 5

Totally! Potassium is important for young seedlings to develop strong stems, and the micronutrients are awesome. For a more balanced mix, including more N and P, I'd recommend watering them with seasoned tank water changes as well.

• Like 1

Glad this is a thing for others as well! @Kirsten I always disclaim to friends who receive my extra seedlings that a fair amount of fish poop went in to the growing 😂. Learned a new thing about potassium and stem growth, thanks!

@Cory I’ll have to try it out on houseplants. My pothos/tradescantia/scindapsis cuttings are growing REALLY well out of my tank since I’ve started using it. 

@TheDukeAnumber1 it is my first time growing the sugar rush peach, I am not sure what to expect. I’ve heard jalapeño level heat, I’ve heard very spicy. Apparently they take a long time to ripen fully also, which is a bit of drawback.  Sorry yours weren’t sweet, it’s such a bummer spending a lot of time and space growing something and have it not end the way you had hoped.