Leaking Tank Disaster

Vanessa K

My 16 Gallon tank had plans for today and in the early morning it started leaking. We caught it early but the bottom, glass, had cracked. And yes I had fish in there, guppies that thrived, the plants thrived - yes even the snails were happy go lucky, I'd finally got the tank seasoned, algae started growing. The balance was there. I felt so proud. Yesterday I sat just watching, the life circle. I've had quite a few losses in my life recently, so this was a great comfort. But not this morning. Disaster happened. I managed to save the fish, some of the seasoned water and the filter. It wasn't just a small leak. 16 Gallons doesn't sound that much and not even a third hit the floor. A third of 16 Gallons is a lot. After being childish (I contemplated going to bed and stay there), I called the most serious  fish store in Sweden and asked "Do you have a 16 Gallon tank for me?" They're very eager to help me, not because they think I have a great personality (or what do I know?) but because I'm good business for them. That's definitely more than okay with me. I heard that Cory had to explain that he runs a business and when you run a business you want to sell things. My father ran his firm for 50 years and of course he wanted to sell  things, but he always found a satisfaction in getting what a particular customer needed. That was important to him, not just selling stuff. He made money and the customer felt well treated, special even. Where was I? I got a new tank, some new guppies (I get that the staff thinks that money is i not a factor for me, it really is, but I've inherited some money). The new guppies are fabulous, including fabulous money wise. Some of them are some panda variety, females - and one of them is a "Karen". And she doesn't have to talk to the manager she deals with it herself. Males try to show how fancy they are, she's not impressed (the females have already became so stressed by the males, well this Karen isn't having it.) -  she attacks the other females if they dare to even look at the food tablets. I've named her "Big Bertha". I've got a 190 Gallon tank that I don't dare to get going. 16 Gallons leaking is one thing. Maybe I have to give it some time. Otherwise I'll have to get rid of it.

• Sad 2

I’m sorry that you had a tank disaster but I got a laugh over your purchase of the fabulously expensive Karen guppy! I hope it’s fun watching her be the boss of the tank! 

I’ve had my eye on some the Panda Guppies at Aquarium Coop for a few months now. They’re not cheap! 

Oh that's awful. I'm so sorry - but so glad you were able to save the fish. 

I understand your fear about the 190. I even recently posted a thread regarding my anxiety about tanks leaking.

For the future: If you do decide to fill the 190, maybe try what I'm currently doing with my new 55? I added a few inches of water per day, checking every day for leaks. Now I have it completely full, and I'm going to watch it for a whole week before I do anything else with it. 

I've also decided I'll never replace this new one, regardless of how long it lasts. All future tanks will be smaller. I'm even looking into ordering a custom-made acrylic tank with super-thick panels, just so I have a tank that can't possibly break or leak. 

I guess my point is that I understand. 

• Like 2

I wanna say thank you, thank you, thank you for all of you guys' support! It means more than I think you realize.  (And yes, Big Bertha, aka Karen, is still going strong). I'm crossing my fingers, but I think the small tank has found some type of balance (managed to create an ammonia spike in the new on top of everything - there are some fry and I wanted to give them and the adults some snack since all the algae was gone and gave them some brine shrimp eggs - bad bad idea - and yes, I'm an idiot). Bubbles bubbles lots of bubbles on the surface, looked like I'd poured dish soap in the water. Panic again, water changes, prime and bacteria that smells like a sewer, salt. The fish are happy, the plants not so much - and I'm exhausted. No bubbles, no apparent damage to the fish. The males are busy showing off again, maybe because they think it's close to doomsday, I wouldn't know. My husband simply refuses to let me get the 190 gallon started. "I wouldn't be able to sleep". Plan B, please let me know if it's a bad one or not, is to order an acrylic tank instead. A slightly smaller. They're not very cheap in Sweden for some reason, not so common either. I know that they're sensitive to scratches. Maybe I can make a deal with that fish store I was talking about - I let them have the glass tank and they'll provide me with an acrylic one. Are they safer? There's an establishment in Germany that takes special orders, but they're not cheap. What should I do? I want to be happy, I want my husband to be happy - and my wallet to be happy.

And again, thank you!

Edited by Vanessa K