Can someone help identify this plant?

I thought it could be a sword, but I have noticed that the bottom of each leaf/stem stays fairly broad, rather than thinning out toward the bottom and becoming more broad in the middle. Follow the leaves all the way into the substrate and they're still pretty wide. I took another photo, so I would love any ideas. I got it at my LFS a while back, and it grew so slow I didn't really notice it much until recently. 

B395CD67-35B3-4D2C-90BA-A2A4BD57B475_1_105_c.jpeg

Pretty sure it is some sort of melon sword - i have several different types - one of them is 22 inches high - here is a leaf from that one. I have one that is deeper red but it is in the guppy tank and the lights are out in that tank (night time and all). That plant the leaves are only around 4 inches high.

xyz.jpg

If it is a single plant with several leaves it is almost certainly a sword plant. Crypts usually have a bunch of tiny plants together. The plant in the guppy tank the wide/narrow thing you describe is less pronounced. The one picture above teh leaves are so large giving them room to have the more classic shape (these are literally 22 inches high - i mostly posted the picture to show the vein structure) which seems a bit different for crypts.

-

It is a bit annoying when they send those sneaker runners under the substrate and you suddenly get a second or third or 50th plant.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

Ok here is the plant in the guppy tank which is rather similar to yours. There is an odd thing about this plant - it is 18 months old and believe or not a sister plant of the one photo above with 2 feet leaves. However this one the leaves are only around 3 to 8 inches. It is much darker purple and as you can see the shape is closer to your leave without that wide thing transition. Why it is only a few inches tall when the other one is 2 feet - well.... must the guppies. At least the colours are a lot nicer 😉

xyz.jpg.ea88363946bab991393398fd5438fa40.jpg

• Thanks 1