Easy Green Nitrate Question

2 hours ago, johnsmiththesecond said:

Hi guys! 

I'm super excited to try this stuff. I just was wondering if it raises nitrates at all and should I be concerned.

I have a 37 gallon tall tank. Moderately stocked with plants and I have 6 mollies.

It definitely does, that's it's purpose, and you shouldn't be concerned. Just follow the directions and you should be good to go. 

If your interested, here is the ppm of each squirt in 10 gallons.

IMG_0525.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

It definitely does, that's it's purpose, and you shouldn't be concerned. Just follow the directions and you should be good to go. 

If your interested, here is the ppm of each squirt in 10 gallons.

IMG_0525.jpg

Thank you! My Nitrates are currently 10-20 (so hard to tell cause the colors are so damn close on the api test kit). So I just feared increasing nitrates too much that it would hurt my fish.

2 minutes ago, johnsmiththesecond said:

Thank you! My Nitrates are currently 10-20 (so hard to tell cause the colors are so damn close on the api test kit). So I just feared increasing nitrates too much that it would hurt my fish.

You should be good. Shot for 20 to 30ppm.

I agree with @Mmiller2001. However, the types and amount/ size of that plants will also matter. Not knowing this information, I would start with 1 pump per 10 gallons once a week(this should raise your nitrates by around 3ppm more but also provide additional nutrients for your plants other than nitrogen). Test your water parameters and see if you need to add more or possibly even less easy green. The plant growth should also give you an indication. 

I run a 75 gallon planted tank and I always have around 20 ppm. As long as your ammonia is below .5 and no nitrites are present, you will be fine. I've had a fish die that I couldn't find and I didn't even notice an increase in the nitrates or ammonia levels.

Plants actually need low levels of nitrates, it's food for them and they aren't toxic to fish at levels under 40.

Edited by BigRedd