Sponge Filter Bubble Control

starsman20

Hi @starsman20, I personally do not run any tops on my tanks but I have seen some people place a piece of polycarbonate panel by glueing or siliconing it to the rim above the bubbles to act as a splash guard. Maybe someone that runs an aquarium with a top can answer this a little better than I can. 

Just now, Isaac M

Hi @starsman20, I personally do not run any tops on my tanks but I have seen some people place a piece of polycarbonate panel by glueing or siliconing it to the rim above the bubbles to act as a splash guard. Maybe someone that runs an aquarium with a top can answer this a little better than I can. 

I tried without topa. My pack of dogs shed enough I was getting hair in my open tanks. 🐕🐕🐕

I get algae on some of my lids/covers as well, from splashing but also just from condensation. I don’t know of a way to prevent it, though in my larger tank, the lights are mounted below the cover so the covers don’t get enough light for algae growth.

I keep a glass cover on my 75 gallon and I keep it pretty full. So, I get green algae on my lids too. When I notice it has started to take over I take the lids off after a water change and scrape it off with a plastic putty knife that I use on my tank. 

I don’t know of a way to keep it from happening, but I don’t believe it hurts anything until it starts to cover the light

• Like 1

Cory did a tour with a guy and he was using the lid from a take-away cup or something like that. Slide the airline hose through the straw hole and have it float right at the water level. It did a great job of suppressing the splashing.

• Like 2