Easy Green Pump Stopped Working Properly

ChrisD

Anyone else experience that their pump head for Easy Green stopped pumping properly? Mine quit working properly recently- it only squirts a tiny bit and the pump will not go down fully. I'd ask for a replacement but I'd hate to incur expensive shipping costs on A.C. Suggestions?

Well, yes, I did--but only because my son knocked it out of the cupboard and it broke when it hit the floor 🙂 

I THINK these are just standard size soap pump heads (maybe someone will know differently) and you can buy replacements on amazon https://www.amazon.com/White-Lotion-Castile-Bottles-Dispensed/dp/B08DG5K9B3/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=soap+pump+head&qid=1619271078&sr=8-18.  Haven't tried it yet though!

Hi @ChrisD, I have not had this happen yet but maybe there is something jamming the pump head? I know inside the pump head where the easy green comes out can sometimes get clogged after awhile since whatever residue is leftover will dry and leave behind the minerals that cannot evaporate. It is not necessarily clogged but the cross section will be reduced slightly. 

From my understanding, the pump head is designed for 1 mL per pump so if you want to buy a replacement head, it must be for that volume or you can simply adjust the dosage per the new pump head. For example, a 2mL/ 2cc pump head would now become 1 pump per 20 gallons. 

• Like 1

my bottle with the black head was the same way new. i finally got aggravated with it, and pulled up on the pump nozzle pretty hard. i believe the nozzle is too far down on the shaft/tube it is on.  now hard to say if it dispenses the exact correct amount, but prior to it, was lucky to get a dribble per pump. 

• Like 1

Cory mentioned this in a recent livestream. You just need to submerge the head and swish it around. If you can put it and the straw in the water you can pump it a few times to dislodge any dried minerals. 

It is because Easy Green is water based and when the water evaporates it can leave behind the minerals, clogging the pump. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know I might be necro-ing a dead thread but it's a problem that has been bugging me for a while and I just decided to fix it lol. 

As an alternative to submerging it in warm water, I pulled off the pump after taking the straw out of the bottle and cleaned the section around the pump. First with a toothpick but realized that was a bit too thick. A paperclip works well in stiffness and being thin enough. They're crystallized deposits so they're pretty hard to see but all in all it should take about 5 minutes and restore you to the correct dosage amount in no time.

• 7 months later...

My Easy Green pumphead seems to be clogged with what I guess is dried residue, so I'll try the submerge it and scrape it with a paperclip techniques detailed above. But is there anyway go prevent the pump from clogging in the first place? Wipe down the tip with a paper towel or something? Or is it just One of Those Things were it just needs to be cleaned now and then?

On 3/20/2023 at 11:40 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

My Easy Green pumphead seems to be clogged with what I guess is dried residue, so I'll try the submerge it and scrape it with a paperclip techniques detailed above. But is there anyway go prevent the pump from clogging in the first place? Wipe down the tip with a paper towel or something? Or is it just One of Those Things were it just needs to be cleaned now and then?

i tend to stick the tip of the pump in the tank and swish it around to help keep it clean longer.  i dont think anything you do will keep it from not clogging totally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This is like shampoo bottles, lotion bottles etc. There will be product at the tip of it. You can dissolve it in water, this can be your aquarium. You could shake out the excess after pumping etc. I find a quick soak once every few months is the easiest?

On 3/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, Cory said:

This is like shampoo bottles, lotion bottles etc. There will be product at the tip of it. You can dissolve it in water, this can be your aquarium. You could shake out the excess after pumping etc. I find a quick soak once every few months is the easiest?

On 3/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, lefty o said:

i tend to stick the tip of the pump in the tank and swish it around to help keep it clean longer.  i dont think anything you do will keep it from not clogging totally

I can do that, thanks! Somehow it didn't even occur to me to use the tank's water to clean the pump!

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 6:20 AM, ChrisD said:

Mine quit working properly recently- it only squirts a tiny bit and the pump will not go down fully.

I have a bottle of easy carbon, works just fine. My bottle of Easy green it's the same situation, jammed or something and doesn't fully depress like it should. It's not clogged, not locked partially or anything. Just doesn't work quite right.

I'll end up swapping the pumps over for now, but it may just be a % of failure on the pump heads themselves.

My old white pump bottle of EG, never had any issues.