Water question

starsman20

I have always used ro water but I have 9 tanks now and its getting a bit cumbersome. I know I can probably switch over to tap gradually during water changes. When I mix tap in currently i put it in a gallon jug with prime. If i go straight to the tank I will not do that. When do I add the dechlorinator when going tap to tank? Before the refill or after? And I am assuming it takes a lot more as well.

I believe dechlorinator comes first--at least if you have much chlorine/chloramine in your tap water.  I know on a recent livestream Tazawa Tanks mentioned that their fish would be visibly affected if he added dechlorinator post-water change rather than before/during.  

• Like 1

I always add dechlorinator  to the tap water before adding that water to the aquarium, following the manufacturers instructions. The measure is the lid so it is convenient. 
 It could be beneficial to check the instructions on your product to be sure you are using it as intended. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jollypop4321 said:

I always add dechlorinator  to the tap water before adding that water to the aquarium, following the manufacturers instructions. The measure is the lid so it is convenient. 
 It could be beneficial to check the instructions on your product to be sure you are using it as intended. 

I was just now reading the instructions for my dechlorinator and realized it doesn’t say exactly when to add it.   I guess I always inferred it meant before it goes in the tank.   Very interesting.   

• Like 1

before, and or during the water change is when to dechlorinate. you can just put it in the tank before adding water or during the process. you require the same amount whether you do it in a bucker before hand, or do it in the tank. if you put 10gal from the tap in the aquarium, it is the same if you put it in a bucket first, or put it in the tank. you are only removing/breaking up the chlorine from 10gal etc.

Edited by lefty o
  • Like 1

I add the dechlorinater to a 5 gallon bucket, then I fill the bucket up with water. I always let the bucket sit for about 45 seconds to allow time for the chemical reactions to break down the chlorine in the water. If you have a bucket I would add the dechlorinator to the bucket then add water per the manufacturers instructions then add that to your tank. 

Edited by Dwayne Brown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lefty o said:

before, and or during the water change is when to dechlorinate. you can just put it in the tank before adding water or during the process. you require the same amount whether you do it in a bucker before hand, or do it in the tank. if you put 10gal from the tap in the aquarium, it is the same if you put it in a bucket first, or put it in the tank. you are only removing/breaking up the chlorine from 10gal etc.

The directions on Seachem Prime indicate that you should dose for the entire tank volume when adding non conditioned water to the tank, ie straight from the tap. 

• Like 2