Summer Tubbing with Corydoras?

Schmorty

So, I've got a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub, power for a heater, and a sponge filter ready to go for some summer tubbing this year. It's going to be my first true tubbing season, and I'm trying to figure out what to put in to breed and make more of.

Now, I'm not opposed to the traditional options like white clouds and rice fish and the like...but I have a real passion for corydoras. I've got a 75 gallon display tank sitting empty, and I'd love to do a sizeable school of paleatus corydoras in there. So I came up with a crazy idea: what if I attempt breeding them in a pond over the summer and then bring them in in the autumn?

I've bred paleatus before, and it takes a lot of time to get them from egg to juvenile, so I don't think I'll be getting many viable spawns. I'm also assuming I'll have to find some paleatus close to breeding age, which may be troublesome.

I know Paleatus are colder tolerant, but not as resistant as a white cloud, so I'd throw in a heater set to 68 or so. And since I'm throwing a heater in, I think I can extend the season into May on the front end and into September or even October on the back end.

Am I crazy for wanting to try this out? Or should I stick to the traditional fish for summer tubbing?

Go for it!!! The only thing I would be careful of is if your summers get hot where you are. From my research into what cories to put with angels most were are the low to mid 70s as far as temps. Idk if they are hardy enough to tolerate if the tubs get to the upper 70s low 80s at times.

you can summer tub with anything your climate allows 🙂 I HIGHLY recommend for everyone to try it, they are so relaxing to sit by and are great for bug control 😄 

Also highly recommend Dr. Ted Coletti's tub pond hand book the third edition just came out with more tips and tricks, its like the official rule book of tub ponds. 

If you do not want to purchase a book, he does an interview on the pond hunter radio podcast you can get on youtube for free just search for Pond Hunter Ted Coletti ep. 52 (or maybe its 53 >.<)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nate s said:

Go for it!!! The only thing I would be careful of is if your summers get hot where you are. From my research into what cories to put with angels most were are the low to mid 70s as far as temps. Idk if they are hardy enough to tolerate if the tubs get to the upper 70s low 80s at times.

That's a good point. I was originally thinking of placing the tub in as much sun as possible, but further research and your comment makes me think shade might be better.

I thought I typed it in the post, but it looks like it got lost when I was editing, but I live in the Denver area. The weather is a bit unpredictable and varied, so it is guaranteed that I'd have some really really hot days, but I'll also have to contend with potential surprise cold snaps in May and September.

You know, what I'm starting to think is maybe I should get an additional tub. One for white clouds, and one to attempt cories with. That way in case the cories don't pan out, I'll still have the fun of the white clouds.

• 1 month later...

I figured I should post an update.

I got the tubs going soon after this original post. 4 weeks after starting, green water finally started to develop and the temps started getting consistently above 55. Unfortunately, I was not able to source breeding age paleatus cories, and I think at this point, I wouldn't be able to get substantial fry development by the time I'd get a group through quarantine.

So, for this season, I'm going to do golden white clouds and potentially something else. I'm keeping my eyes open for platinum rice fish. I'm actually really excited for all the marginal flowers I got for the tubs. Several variants of Canna lilies, a pickerel rush, some bluebells, and yellow iris. I've attached a few photos of what the tubs look like now.

PXL_20210523_224148249.jpg

PXL_20210523_224154893.jpg

• Like 2