Tank inhabitants living in electric current for months.

CalmedByFish

I have a 5 gallon with an in-tank filter. I was working on the tank today, and each time I touched the surface, it felt like the static zap you get when you touch a door knob in winter. After unplugging the filter and heater, one at a time, I realized the filter was letting a bit of electric current into the water. 

So it's in the trash, and a nano HOB has been ordered. 

But how are the inhabitants okay? The inhabitants are an African Dwarf Frog, a few endlers, and baby snails. All seem completely fine. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I've felt that zap several times over multiple months, and never thought about it. 

I'm surprised. Have you ever heard of animals living in a low electric current and not having ill effects?

(Edit: I stuck a little air tube in, so they do have oxygenation until the HOB arrives.)

Edited by CalmedByFish

There is no difference in potential in the tank, unless a fish were to find a ground point on the defective filter.

Had you of been holding something well grounded with one hand and touched the water you would have gotten more than a "zap".  Current would flow through your arms.  In that path is your heart...

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1