Check valve on Nano USB air pump?

Geoff kuiken

1 minute ago, Tinyfellows said:

If you keep your pump above the water line you will be ok without a check valve I believe. Even though it was fine in your test it would be a real bummer to come home to an empty tank and flooded house when the prevention to the problem is such a low cost item. 

Agreed.   Thank you 

It would't hurt anything  .  I had a situation ( a little different reason) My nano pump went out . I had it parallel to a cheap air pump so I could turn off the larger air pump at night so the mother-in-law could sleep and the tank still have air. Eventually the usb nano went out . I am pretty sure it was becuase I didn't use the check valve and pressure was getting back into the Nano . The point is like @Tinyfellows mentioned  for a seemly inexpensive peace I would always run it with one  . Might save you your equipment, worst case it cost you a few bucks and never need it . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken Sonnier said:

It would't hurt anything  .  I had a situation ( a little different reason) My nano pump went out . I had it parallel to a cheap air pump so I could turn off the larger air pump at night so the mother-in-law could sleep and the tank still have air. Eventually the usb nano went out . I am pretty sure it was becuase I didn't use the check valve and pressure was getting back into the Nano . The point is like @Tinyfellows mentioned  for a seemly inexpensive peace I would always run it with one  . Might save you your equipment, worst case it cost you a few bucks and never need it . 

Deal, I’ll place the pump above the water line for the time being and order a valve so I can hide the equipment.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

I always recommend putting the check valve as close to the aquarium as possible. I had a kitten who chomped through an airline once and she went running as the water sprayed out of the chewed airline which was my clue that she'd chewed the airline. Even with the pump above the tank if the airline comes loose, gets chewed in half, or suffers a failure of some sort, the tank can drain. The check valve near the tank can save the day. My check valves are typically right where the airline comes out of the tank. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gardenman said:

I always recommend putting the check valve as close to the aquarium as possible. I had a kitten who chomped through an airline once and she went running as the water sprayed out of the chewed airline which was my clue that she'd chewed the airline. Even with the pump above the tank if the airline comes loose, gets chewed in half, or suffers a failure of some sort, the tank can drain. The check valve near the tank can save the day. My check valves are typically right where the airline comes out of the tank. 

That’s a good point.  I do have 2 cats lol.