How do you know if a platform/floor is suitable for a tank

Gideyon

Things didn't go as planned (what's new) so I won't be having space for the 55 I was planning for.   If I ever am able to get another tank, it'll be a 20 long. 

But here's my dilemma. The only space I have for it is the same counter that I keep my 10g on. The latter weighs about 100 lbs, and I placed it at the corner of the platform the counter is on.  

I could possibly put the 20 on the other corner.   But because it's more weight, and this counter looks like a diy job from the previous owner, I just don't know if it can handle it. 

Is there a way to test this?   How do people put weight limits on stands?   Is it an intelligent estimate or is there a way to measure that? 

Edited by Gideyon

4 minutes ago, lefty o said:

find a 200 pound+ person to sit on the counter and wiggle around. if it sags, groans, creaks or does anything a counter shouldnt, dont put a tank on it.

Bingo. My spouse and I have sat on surfaces several times, doing the "try to make it break" thing, and jumped up and down on floors trying to find any soft spots. As long as you don't video this nonsense, it's a good method. 😂

Edit: Also look under the counter to find the weight-bearing boards or panels. Sometimes just looking will make you able to intuit what it can handle.

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gideyon said:

Things didn't go as planned (what's new) so I won't be having space for the 55 I was planning for.   If I ever am able to get another tank, it'll be a 20 long. 

But here's my dilemma. The only space I have for it is the same counter that I keep my 10g on. The latter weighs about 100 lbs, and I placed it at the corner of the platform the counter is on.  

I could possibly put the 20 on the other corner.   But because it's more weight, and this counter looks like a diy job from the previous owner, I just don't know if it can handle it. 

Is there a way to test this?   How do people put weight limits on stands?   Is it an intelligent estimate or is there a way to measure that? 

Photos might help here. It is usually a round-estimate to calculate ca. 100 lbs of tank+water weight for every 10 gallons. Moving in a 20 gal is adding ca. 200 lbs.

In general, good wood holds a lot of weight. It is stronger when the weight is directly wood - on wood versus wood held together by bolts, screws, etc. The shear strength of petal pins is less weight-bearing than wood on wood. Screws are good for _grip strength_ but not as good for _shear strength_.

Key, for me, is whether you've got direct lines of sold wood from the counter top down to the floor. They can be boards, or 2x4s. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 12.53.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 12.54.05 PM.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lefty o said:

find a 200 pound+ person to sit on the counter and wiggle around. if it sags, groans, creaks or does anything a counter shouldnt, dont put a tank on it.

I thought you were joking at first but it makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

Bingo. My spouse and I have sat on surfaces several times, doing the "try to make it break" thing, and jumped up and down on floors trying to find any soft spots. As long as you don't video this nonsense, it's a good method. 😂

its better to video it, might make ya youtube famous! LOL

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Photos might help here. It is usually a round-estimate to calculate ca. 100 lbs of tank+water weight for every 10 gallons. Moving in a 20 gal is adding ca. 200 lbs.

In general, good wood holds a lot of weight. It is stronger when the weight is directly wood - on wood versus wood held together by bolts, screws, etc. The shear strength of petal pins is less weight-bearing than wood on wood. Screws are good for _grip strength_ but not as good for _shear strength_.

Key, for me, is whether you've got direct lines of sold wood from the counter top down to the floor. They can be boards, or 2x4s. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 12.53.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 12.54.05 PM.png

This is why fishkeeping is so much harder than other hobbies or pet keeping. You don’t have to think about the weight of your dog or how hot or cold the air is in the house of your dog, or if his cage will be too heavy for the floor, or worry about anything really haha. This hobby has taught me wayyy more than just fishkeeping. You are like a carpenter, plumber, chemist, and biologist all in one haha. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, Fish Folk said:

Photos might help here

Sorry this is late. 

These boards are likely particle board.  The back board isn't really wood.  It's just a panel. I just realized that.  I have my other 10g along the top of that to the left.  So most of the support is on on one side where the counter is supported against the wall.  

In the picture, the two verticals are 28 inches apart.  It looks warped because it's a panoramic picture.  Not enough space to take a full one. 

If I put a 10 gallon, is it better to have that double vertical board in the middle or on one side of the tank? 

I'm not confident on the 20g anymore.  So I'm considering a 10 if it's possible. 

PXL_20210612_125658931.PANO~2.jpg