Help Corydoras missing skin on dorsal fin

Tobezoned

10 minutes ago, Tobezoned said:

I'm not sure what to do, some of the smaller Cory's have a little bit missing on the tips of their dorsal fins but are acting fine, this guy who is the biggest has allot missing on his dorsal fin and some white marks on his back 

20210422_144135.jpg

20210422_144208.jpg

20210422_144245.jpg

20210422_144253.jpg

20210422_144730.jpg

20210422_144808.jpg

Might be Columnaris. Here's an article about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Might be Columnaris. Here's an article about it. 

If it is Columnaris I'm not sure how to handle it. I dont have a quarantine tank set up, and my tank currently isnt fully cycled, so meds could kill the beneficial bacteria that isnt even fully established yet 

1 minute ago, lefty o said:

hold the phone, not cycled yet, so what is the ammonia level at in the tank. if you have higher ammonia levels yet, it could be burning the skin on these fish. not saying thats the issue, but possible.

I put the Cory's in when I believed my tank had cycled, I had an amonia and nitrite spike and then they zeroed out so I believed it had cycled. But I guess the tank just couldn't handle the bio load and another cycle just sort of came out of nowhere. I've tried to keep the amonia as low as I can. For the most part it's been 0.5 and under. These Cory's have only been in here for about 4 days, but the big guy already looked like he had some skin missing when I first got him, it's just gotten worse now 

4 minutes ago, lefty o said:

hold the phone, not cycled yet, so what is the ammonia level at in the tank. if you have higher ammonia levels yet, it could be burning the skin on these fish. not saying thats the issue, but possible.

^^^THIS. TRUTH.^^^

just taking a shot here. if they already had some skin issues, hard to say whats up, but ammonia spike isnt helping them. do you have any api stress coat handy? its not a miracle cure, but will break up the ammonia, and has aloe in it to help with the fish's skin.

• Like 2

Just now, Fish Folk said:

^^^THIS. TRUTH.^^^

It's sort of an accident it not being cycled properly. First time fish keeper and before putting fish in I had spikes that then lowered so I thought it was done. I dont really have a quarantine tank, and killing off beneficial bacteria with meds would be really bad, so I'm lost at the moment 

Just now, lefty o said:

just taking a shot here. if they already had some skin issues, hard to say whats up, but ammonia spike isnt helping them. do you have any api stress coat handy? its not a miracle cure, but will break up the ammonia, and has aloe in it to help with the fish's skin.

I'll order some now, should come by tomorrow. I really am so lost as yo what to do, I dont wanna lose these guys. Plus I have a couple baby pleco in here as well, if they got I infected it would be awful, one of them is a blue phantom i paid allot for. But beyond the money i invested I also just love these little guys and it would be awful if something bad happened 

Just now, lefty o said:

being a first time tank owner, you are likely going to go through some struggles with small issues, and keeping fish alive . it happens to just about everybody at some point in this hobby, so dont let it crush your soul. 

Ill try to not let it get to me too much. I've ordered the stress coat. But if it is Columnaris surely it wont help/cure that? Without a proper quarantine tank or any established filters I could put in a bucket with some fish I dont know what to do. Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Colu said:

Ammonia is probably main cause of you fin issue I would also treat with maracyn or maracyn2 to cover against any possible bacterial infection going

I understand it could be amonia, but the first day that I got him, he and a couple others had a bit of skin missing already. And the LFS runs in well water and has no amonia and nitrite. So I dont know how he would have already shown signs of it if there wasnt amonia present before 

1 minute ago, Colu said:

What I would do is a 50% water and treat the main tank with antibacterial treatment if it is columnaris that is a gram negative bacterial infection so I would treat with kanaplex or maracyn2 

Wouldn't these kind of meds kill beneficial bacteria? In a not fully cycled tank that would be catastrophic

2 minutes ago, Tobezoned said:

Wouldn't these kind of meds kill beneficial bacteria? In a not fully cycled tank that would be catastrophic

Hey, it will harm your cycle, but if it's columnaris and your fish are suffering, that will kill them, too. I'm struggling with a cycle setback after treating my tank with antibiotics, and I'm currently dosing with Prime and doing once-every-48-hours water changes. I haven't seen levels of ammonia climb above 0.5ppm, and nitrites continue to be 0 while nitrates continue to climb. It's a lot of work, but I'm doing my best to keep my fish safe while the beneficial bacteria recover.

Also wanted to add: I have a quarantine tank set up now in a different room, with all plastic decor and a sponge filter bubbling away. I'm letting that cycle concurrently with my recovering display tank. Live and learn, hopefully once I get through this I am now set up to not let it happen again!

3 minutes ago, Colu said:

Kanaplex can effect your  cycle  I have used maracyn2 and had no problems with it affecting my beneficial bacterial

Alright so do you think maracyn2 would be good enough? I'm low on funding so I wont be able to afford to buy loads of beneficial bacteria and stuff to detoxify amonia and nitrates if the cycle went back to the beginning

The active ingredient of maracyn2 is minocyline effect treatment   I wouldn't bother with bottle bacterial I have used it in the past haven't noticed any significant benefits  

Edited by Colu

5 minutes ago, Colu said:

The active ingredient of maracyn2 is minocyline effect treatment   I wouldn't bother with bottle bacterial I have used it in the past haven't noticed any significant benefits  

Would this medication alone be enough to treat it? My tank is fairly well planted. I just dont wanna set the cycle back, if I do then i have to spend loads of money on dechlorinator as I'm nearly out and then be doing massive water changes to keep levels down while it cycles again. Right now based on testing, it looks like my cycle is nearly over. So setting it back would be a nightmare, as I've already spent the last week carrying buckets back and forth trying to keep everything alive whilst it cycles

2 minutes ago, Tobezoned said:

Would this medication alone be enough to treat it? My tank is fairly well planted. I just dont wanna set the cycle back, if I do then i have to spend loads of money on dechlorinator as I'm nearly out and then be doing massive water changes to keep levels down while it cycles again. Right now based on testing, it looks like my cycle is nearly over. So setting it back would be a nightmare, as I've already spent the last week carrying buckets back and forth trying to keep everything alive whilst it cycles

They are no guarantees that it will cure them some bacterial infections can be difficult to treat it might take two courses of treatment if maracyn2 does not  work than I would treat with kanaplex

Edited by Colu

3 minutes ago, Colu said:

They are no guarantees that it will cure them some bacterial infections can be difficult to treat it might take two courses of treatment if maracyn2 does not  work than I would treat with kanaplex

I will try maracyn2 for now. I hope it works as I'm just coming out of my cycle and its been a 24 hour job practically keeping up with water changes and testing multiple times a day so the other medication that can affect it would be a nightmare to use.

30 minutes ago, Colu said:

I am from the uk and when looking up Maracyn 2 on amazon what came up instead was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2K2GM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_G5X1XR3TAVBF7FGG3337 would this work as I have now ordered it? As this kills bacteria I don't know if it would also kill beneficial bacteria. I have ordered stress coat and aquarium salt, and turned my water temps down as it says for saddleback it spreads faster at higher temps. 

51 minutes ago, Tobezoned said:

I am from the uk and when looking up Maracyn 2 on amazon what came up instead was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FH2K2GM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_G5X1XR3TAVBF7FGG3337 would this work as I have now ordered it? As this kills bacteria I don't know if it would also kill beneficial bacteria. I have ordered stress coat and aquarium salt, and turned my water temps down as it says for saddleback it spreads faster at higher temps. 

I looked up that product and it says not to use with scaleless fish I would not use it with your corydoras  try Esha 2000 or a product contains acriflavin thats available in the uk

Edited by Colu