29 GL one species tank ideas?

JoeM

Cycling my new 29 long. Im loving me one big school of Rummynose tetra. or celestial pearl danios. Whats the max # of those you would put in a 29? i know one inch per gallon blah blah...😏 any exception to that rule with more frequent water changes, planted  tank?

Other species ideas? One big fish? One tetra school, cichlids, discus? Talk to me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Cycling my new 29 long. Im loving me one big school of Rummynose tetra. or celestial pearl danios. Whats the max # of those you would put in a 29? i know one inch per gallon blah blah...😏 any exception to that rule with more frequent water changes, planted  tank?

Other species ideas? One big fish? One tetra school, cichlids, discus? Talk to me

Make sure your cycle is definitely completed. Plant that glass box FULL of live plants. Make it an absolute jungle. Ensure your water parameters are supreme. Provide a large context for filtration -- e.g. we use an Emperor 280 Bio wheel HOB plus a sponge filter for one of our 29 gal tanks. Total overkill, but it helps when heavily stocking. Be vigilant about your maintenance schedule. 

All that said and done . . . you can shoehorn in a lot more fish than the internet will say. Just ensure that you are caring for your fish, and that they're not visibly stressed. I hate to throw numbers out there, because a lot depends on how you keep things, and exactly what species you select. If you're in love with Rummynose Tetras, or CPDs, you can put in a lot more than 1-inch-per-gallon. Just make sure there's something like "two plants for every fish."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I agree with @Fish Folk on this one. I really like that "two plants for every fish" thing!

Some other ideas:

• Pygmy cories? A huge school would look awesome in a 29 gallon long.
  • For cichlids, you could do a pair of kribensis or a colony of Bolivian rams.
  • Maybe a group of pearl gourami on a backdrop of jungle vallisneria.

Here's another tool: http://aqadvisor.com/. It's a little more accurate than the one inch per gallon rule. Just add in the tank size and add the fish in, and it will give an estimate on your stocking level and water change schedule. Keep in mind that it doesn't consider the benefits of plants, bio media, or sponge filters, so you can go over the stocking level if you keep up with your maintenence and have a lot of plants like @Fish Folk pointed out.

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

Just now, JoeM said:

😓 Great now i need to explain to my wife why i need to buy 60 more aquarium plants..Nice knowing ya. 

Instead of spending money on 60 more plants, you could always opt for a smaller number of fast growing/fast reproducing plants that will fill in the numbers themselves. Take vallisneria for example. If grown correctly, one plant can send runners all the way across the tank. Cory did an article and a video on it:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/vallisneria

Other options for fast growing and reproducing plants include sagittaria, hornwort, and water sprite (this one grows new plants off the tips of it's leaves). You could also choose house plants like pothos and spiderplant, as they will filter out a lot of nitrites from the water. Just hang them on the side of the aquarium with their roots underwater, and they will work out fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JoeM said:

I have one with a convict chiclid you could probably get away with 2 but they have a descent chance of killing the other one so I just play it safe and also they will not leave plants alone so I would recommend fake plants 

Edited by Angelfishlover
  • Like 1

Get yourself a 30” led light (maybe a stingray or stingray 2 which is new and is a little more powerful), some driftwood and plant some Val. Let it just take over, it will send runners all over the tank and will grow to the top. Get a school of 20-30 rummy nose and they will swim all in and out of the Val. And then if you want put 8-10 little Cory cats at the bottom. That right there is an easy awesome aquarium. 

that is after it’s cycled. With that stocking and the plants I would say maybe 10-20% water change every 1-2 weeks? All depends on feeding. I like to only feed 4/5 times a week. Obviously that’s a ball park type thing and you want to test your water to dial your set up in. 
Even when my parameters are good I still like to do small weekly water changes to add some minerals for the plants. I also take that time to listen to @aquarium-coop podcast. 

Edited by Nate s
  • Thanks 1