It is cyanobacteria which is not a true algae. Looking at your substrate it is quite possible that you are getting a bit of arobic activity which breaks down the nitrate and release nitrogen which feeds the cyano. If this is correct a simple solution is to add a bit of current across the substrate (a low power wave maker for example) or angling of a spray bar. While you can treat it effectively with something like chemi-clean I would first try a bit of current and be patient - like at least 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@anewbie Yes, that’s exactly what I thought.  Glad you and Cory confirmed.    I have never experienced it before.  

This is a dirted tank and is heavily planted. The current idea makes sense to me.  Should I pull some plants as well?   (Lightly pull that is).  Thanks for your advice.  Very much. 

Also, would CO2 be an option?

Remove what is there from the substrate, it looks like you are using sand, so after removing the worst you could stir it a bit to break up what is compacted (sand has a tendency to do that, aside from being a tough medium for most plants), the cyanobacteria on the glass just above or below the substrate line can be removed with a used credit, or club membership card by scraping it along the glass, increase flow, increase aeration. Chemi-Clean, or Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stan Remover are two aquarium products designed to treat cyanobacteria but unless conditions change it has a tendency to return later.

PS: CO2 won't have an impact one way, or the other, except for in very extremely heavily planted tank where you can't even see the substrate. Pulling the plants in the picture would most likely be counterproductive as they don't seem to have cyanobacteria growing on them yet, but if they have started to affect the plants, then yes you want to remove the cyanobacteria, unless you can use Chemi-Clean, or Ultralife.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Melissa Ann said:

@anewbie Yes, that’s exactly what I thought.  Glad you and Cory confirmed.    I have never experienced it before.  

This is a dirted tank and is heavily planted. The current idea makes sense to me.  Should I pull some plants as well?   (Lightly pull that is).  Thanks for your advice.  Very much. 

Also, would CO2 be an option?

I don't think co2 or plants are going to help here - trumpet snails or something that burrows might help to break apart the substrate - still i think the easiest solution is a light current across the substrate. Also if you just wait a while it might eventually balance out and go away. In my case i had a zoomed 30 filter on a 20 long and i just angled the spray bar slightly down and that was sufficient current. But as i noted expect it to take a bit of time - couple of weeks or so.

• Thanks 1

@Melissa Ann Nope. From what I've seen, it could potentially to kill your plants if you let it completely cover all their leaves so that they can't photosynthesize anymore. Luckily, blue-green algae is fairly easy to rub off with your fingers and suck it up with an aquarium siphon.

Edited by Irene
  • Thanks 1