Easy Green Effects

I have used ez green for a while now and I love it. But recently I noticed after a water change and dosing ez green. An ember tetra began to breathe heavily and passed later on. I didn't think much about it. But after a few weeks I repeated the process and another ember tetra began to show the same symptoms. Also passed away. Has anyone had this problem? Thank you 

• Administrators

What are your water parameters? Tell us more about your setup? This is a possibility, however this would be a wide spread issue I would think. As an example. Dean, has a 75g that he doses easy green in, with ember tetras, and hasn't had any problems.

Thanks for the reply. It's a well established 36 gallon bow front. Heavily planted with red metallic crypts and dwarf sag. About 20 ember tetras and a school of salt and pepper Cory's. Parameters are good no ammonia pH neutral. I have several other tanks that get dosed with ez green with no problem. Just encountered this problem with the smaller tetras. They are about two years old. The only other change i can think of is I began to feed the extreme krill flake. Maybe to much protein? Idk

From what I've read, the lifespan of ember tetras can be as short as two years. Maybe they are getting old and the water change is enough to push them over edge? 

How much water do you change each time? How frequently? What is the temperature differential between tank water and change water? What are the other parameter differences between tank water and change water? How much Easy Green are you adding? Are you adding other products?

Edited by Frank