• Lambchop/Espei Rasbora
    • Ember Tetras
  2. 2. Best "Clean up crew" for a Betta in a 10 gallon tank

• Otocinclus Catfish
    • Pygmy Corydora Catfish
    • Panda Corydora Catfish
    • Malaysian Trumpet Snails

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2020 at 05:30 PM

I'm honestly not a fan of putting any schooling species with a betta in a 10. Want a betta and a school? Bump it up to a 20 long so they a have more space to move instead of constantly being up each other's anal fins. You'll really notice a difference in activity levels. The fish will be much happier.

Clean up crew? Malaysian trumpet snails. Corydoras aren't a clean up crew. And ottos tend to only do well if you have a ton of algae in an established tank in my experience. Which usually happens when you have lots of live plants and plenty of other surfaces for algae to grow. Not a ton of algae? Don't bother with the ottos, they'll eventually starve.

I noticed nerite snails weren't on the list for betta tank mates. Neither were Amano shrimp or ghost shrimp. I would do any one of those before considering a school in a 10 with a betta.

Just chiming in about Otos. You can definitely keep otos successfully. I have Otos and they gave me fry. Fry was raised with algae but they also eat resphasy super green, Cucumber, Zucchini, green beans. I read a few people say once there's no algae, the otos starve. I think maybe that was true in the beginning but I think they have adapted.  And I have a 38g with atleast 30 of them.(Not on purpose )Cant be much algae left . Not even counting the snails i have as well. And there all healthy and eating.  

Edited by JerseyBundy

On 9/10/2020 at 8:30 PM, Jack said:

I see most people are voting for the Ember tetra in the poll for the schooling fish and I was wondering if that would work since I have a betta with red fins

WIN_20200910_11_40_49_Pro.jpg

My question was going to be what color is the Betta, since that would make a difference for me on the schoolers

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, Nataku said:

I'm honestly not a fan of putting any schooling species with a betta in a 10. Want a betta and a school? Bump it up to a 20 long so they a have more space to move instead of constantly being up each other's anal fins. You'll really notice a difference in activity levels. The fish will be much happier.

Clean up crew? Malaysian trumpet snails. Corydoras aren't a clean up crew. And ottos tend to only do well if you have a ton of algae in an established tank in my experience. Which usually happens when you have lots of live plants and plenty of other surfaces for algae to grow. Not a ton of algae? Don't bother with the ottos, they'll eventually starve.

I noticed nerite snails weren't on the list for betta tank mates. Neither were Amano shrimp or ghost shrimp. I would do any one of those before considering a school in a 10 with a betta.

Being up each others' anal fins... HAHAHA😂🤣