Easy Green questions

So I started up with live plants about 1.5 years ago. It's  been quite the learning experience. I started out with a large bottle of Flourish from my local petco. It turned a clear color and kept leaking/bubbling out the top & making a mess so I returned it. And purchased the Flourish starter pack which contains Excel, Flourish, Iron. I opened the Flourish & it was dark brown/green color- which I thought was off-- because my 1st bottle was a clear or light green color.

I moved on to MarcusFishtanks Fertiluzer pump in January. After 4 months of using it I have seen some good results BUT the liquid has become like coagulated, I'm  not sure if its sugars in it lumping up OR if its mold and/or fungus. But there are some gnarly looking chunks all through it.

Will Easy green become choppy like this other one? I was thinking of purchasing it, but I'm  afraid of buying a 4th fertilizer to experience it get chunky on me.

Currently I am just using sachem root tabs and small doses of liquid ferts until I figure out what's floating in my bottle.

Thanks in advance!

If you have tried all those fertilizers and they became choppy it  probably because your not storing it properly, How are you storing it?

Or are you talking about that crusty gunk that forms on the tips of the pump heads. I dont think there is any way to prevent it. But to get rid of it dip tip into the tank water and it should dissolve quite fast.

Edited by James Black

Oh no they ALL did not get clumpy, just the Marcusfishtanks one is. Its a white pump bottle with tons of white floating clumpy bits. I actually E-Mailed him about it & he said to add a few drops of flourish excel to it. He said he is also experiencing this in his own products & his team is trying to figure out how to stop it from happening.

I store them in a dry cold cupboard downstairs 

The flourish- it says to store in the refrigerator after 4 months of it being open if it's not all used. It did not clump BUT 2 different bottles produced 2 different colored products which I thought was very odd.

But my question is, will Easy green fertilizer clump up or stay okay after a few months? (Inside bottle not on the pump tip)

40 minutes ago, MollyMomma said:

Will Easy green become choppy like this other one? I was thinking of purchasing it, but I'm  afraid of buying a 4th fertilizer to experience it get chunky on me.

I just finished up a bottle of EZ Green that I bought 8 months ago, other than a little gunk drying up on the pump spout it was a good as day one. It is stored in a cabinet under one of the tanks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ken said:

I just finished up a bottle of EZ Green that I bought 8 months ago, other than a little gunk drying up on the pump spout it was a good as day one. It is stored in a cabinet under one of the tanks.

Thank you! That was the type of answer i was looking for! Lol

• Administrators

I can't speak for other manufacturers. However it's well known that mold/fungus grow in fertilizer. A manufacturer will want to put in a chemical to prevent that. Seachem Excel can be used to do that as well. I recommend storing all fertilizers out of direct light. My advice would also be pick one that doesn't have that issue going forward.