5 gallon metaframe aquarium

Scaifey

looking to buy this aquarium I am just wondering if there are newer meta tanks or is this vintage I believe the slate was replaced to glass anyone have any knowledge with these old vintage aquariums. The seller is selling for 10 bux cdn if this is a real vintage meta it is a steal from what I know the only thing is that it has a small leak which is no biggie for me to reseal.

May be an image of indoor

Edited by Scaifey

If anything, it looks too good to me. My old Metaframe tanks would get a bit rusty.  (The ones with the slate bottom.) Now, I have pretty nasty water so maybe that's why, but it almost looks too good. It's very, very shiny. But hey, for $!0 Canadian (whatever that is in American) it's a pretty good deal anyway.

There were plenty of metal frame tanks made after slate bottoms were no longer made.  I used to have a step back bank of 15 tanks (3 levels of 5 tanks each).  I bought them with the stand from an older couple that had a basement fish store.  I bought it when they retired in the early 80’s, but I first bought fish from them starting in the mid 70’s and they’d had it for *years* before I knew them.  They were all original tanks and had slightly textured glass on the bottoms.

Edit to add that my tanks came with long, stainless, strip lights with a single incandescent bulb over each tank and a metal flap lid for each tank for feeding, etc.  They had glass pieces over each tank that went between the water and the lights.  The inner top rim of each tank had a lip where the glass laid and the metal flap laid when it was closed.

Edited by Odd Duck

Nice a couple things I can go off of don't know how much I would like a stainless top but the stainless light im sure I can find some sort of led light that has a similar chrome look. I would like original but very hard to find I cannot cross the border to goto good flea markets. And here in Canada they have almost everything closed to the public. 

The old incandescent light fixtures for aquariums have seen a revival with the arrival of the daylight LED bulbs. You can get a lot of light from those fixtures these days. I was using one on my ten gallon quarantine tank and it was growing everything very well, but the bulbs had a shorter than preferred life due to the heat buildup. The venting that was adequate for the incandescent bulbs wasn't quite good enough for the LED bulbs. (At least in that fixture. It could also be the horizontal placement of the bulbs. Most LED bulbs are used upright so maybe the horizontal placement caused issues?) The bulbs were only lasting six months or so in the fixture then they'd start flickering and having issues before going out completely. I used it for a couple of years then replaced it with an LED aquarium light.

Spot welds and small dents tell you it is metal., and $10. well spent.   

My 55 gallon curb find is a leak.  Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the slate bottom without damage, or what thickness/type of glass to replace it with?

@DanielI tested a magnet on my 15 gallon Metaframe and only found a slight magnetic pull on the top portion near a rivet. My 5 gallon knock-off is sitting outside on a table waiting for my attention. It hasn't found it yet.

Also, just wanted to throw out there, that the Metaframe is branded with the name etched into the metal on one of the bottom corners; the other is not. That said, the pics you are showing look like mine. It could be that the brand was only used for a small period of time. Also, mine does not have a slate bottom, which suggests it is newer or perhaps refurbished. I don't know the story.

Edited by Celly Rasbora
typo
  • Like 1