Snail-Eaters fora 40 Gallon

Zeithelden

I have a tank with endlers, corys and a couple bristlenose that is just absolutely over run with ramshorn. Usually I pull them out to feed to my pea puffer tank, but I am just overwhelmed with them at the moment. Does anyone know of a good snail-eater that would live comfortably with the other fish already in the tank? It's pretty heavily planted with Val and some water wisteria. A good snail cleanup solution would be good too. I don't necessarily need to eradicate them or anything, just reduce population numbers.

Thanks in advance!

Dwarf chain l

2 hours ago, Zeithelden said:

I have a tank with endlers, corys and a couple bristlenose that is just absolutely over run with ramshorn. Usually I pull them out to feed to my pea puffer tank, but I am just overwhelmed with them at the moment. Does anyone know of a good snail-eater that would live comfortably with the other fish already in the tank? It's pretty heavily planted with Val and some water wisteria. A good snail cleanup solution would be good too. I don't necessarily need to eradicate them or anything, just reduce population numbers.

Thanks in advance!

Dwarf Chain loaches is my bet they don’t get big and do better in number and are pretty cool fish I’m getting some for my 45 gallon 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I have always wished I had the guts to do this.

Do it! Just make sure you have a large enough group of them to entertain each other with. They are a social species.

At one point, there were ten plus pea puffers in my community tank. I sold some to a fellow hobbyist because he wanted peas and they're hard to find due to the current climate. Now I'm raising four pea puffer fry in my shrimp tank. Well, I say "raising" but I don't feed them. They're eating baby snails and snail eggs.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most loaches can take care of snails. If i were you i would purchase a snail catcher from aquarium coop or get a snail trap from SERA. After you get as many as you can out i would put a few corydoras or somthing to eat the snail eggs. As well as using salt. 

4 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Do it! Just make sure you have a large enough group of them to entertain each other with. They are a social species.

At one point, there were ten plus pea puffers in my community tank. I sold some to a fellow hobbyist because he wanted peas and they're hard to find due to the current climate. Now I'm raising four pea puffer fry in my shrimp tank. Well, I say "raising" but I don't feed them. They're eating baby snails and snail eggs.

They don’t eat ur shrimp ? 

1 hour ago, akconklin said:

You could also try Assassin snails.  I got a small group of 5 about a year ago, & now have well over 25. They eradicated the ramshorns in my tank. And almost all of my pond snails are gone too! 

My 4 assasin snails don’t seem to be killing my pond or rams horn 

Another possibly viable option would be a paradise fish, which have an interesting way of eating snails. They bite on the soft part of the snail when it's out of the shell then then wriggle the snail until everything comes off. 

They are closely related to bettas and are usually very personable fish.

They MIGHT be a bit to aggressive for your endlers, but I'm not sure at all if that will be the case 

Edited by gcalberto

3 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

They don’t eat ur shrimp ? 

Nope. The adults living in my community tank also has neocaridina shrimp (my culls) living in it. The one time a pea accidentally grabbed onto one (during feeding time), he immediately let go and backed off. Not to say pea puffers are shrimp safe. Mine simply do not consider them food.

2 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Nope. The adults living in my community tank also has neocaridina shrimp (my culls) living in it. The one time a pea accidentally grabbed onto one (during feeding time), he immediately let go and backed off. Not to say pea puffers are shrimp safe. Mine simply do not consider them food.

Awesome thanks for the feedback 

14 hours ago, Zeithelden said:

Thanks in advance!

Certainly the YoYo Loach! I had exact same problem, and the snails were EVERYWHERE! A week later, 90% of all snails gone! I highly recommend YoYo Loach, and make sure to research about them before buying them! They like to be in schools btw! I did a care guide about them, actually! Let me know if you'd like to see it! 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leo2o915 said:

My 4 assasin snails don’t seem to be killing my pond or rams horn 

I think the assassins work mainly under the gravel,  killing the eggs,  so it's hard to see what they're doing.  But I believe they do stop the population explosions. I also have pygmy chain loaches. They have helped to kill off the already hatched snails. I have no ramhorns left in the tank.  So maybe a 2-pronged approach is best. 

5 hours ago, akconklin said:

I think the assassins work mainly under the gravel,  killing the eggs,  so it's hard to see what they're doing.  But I believe they do stop the population explosions. I also have pygmy chain loaches. They have helped to kill off the already hatched snails. I have no ramhorns left in the tank.  So maybe a 2-pronged approach is best. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 11:29 AM, Zeithelden said:

Thanks in advance!

If you were looking to just keep the numbers down a bit lower i would do a trap to knock the numbers down to where you want them short term and add assassin snails to keep them under control long term. Assasins also burrow in the substrate which should be an additional bonus for soil health. I have one tank with assassin snails and one tank with a colony of dwarf chain loaches. Assassin snails control snails in their tank with some snails still existing many months later while the dwarf chain loaches have no snails in their tank and it did not take very long for them to get every snail in their bellys (maybe a week until they had got them all). 

• Like 1