CO2 diffuser cleaning?

Duckles

I've been using some cheapo Amazon CO2 diffusers.  The stone keeps getting clogged with algae.  It doesn't take much... any little bit of algae and the diffuser is just DEAD.  I've tried soaking them in vinegar to see if that would loosen it up and make them work again, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these things up?

6 hours ago, Duckles said:

I've been using some cheapo Amazon CO2 diffusers.  The stone keeps getting clogged with algae.  It doesn't take much... any little bit of algae and the diffuser is just DEAD.  I've tried soaking them in vinegar to see if that would loosen it up and make them work again, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these things up?

I have had trouble with these as well. Upon taking one apart, I found the issue with mine was that a surprisingly small amount of surface area was exposed on the bottom of the stone. The thickness of the acrylic and overrun of adhesive only left a tiny amount of the bottom exposed.(pic:the only exposed area on bottom of stone was that pocket) Cleaning these stones is an expected maintenance, but the frequency while likely be higher if it has similar design flaws as mine.

20210318_163834.jpg.6ceb1ef2da632c9e43a88c6b7c448650.jpg

Edited by JaredL

I have an acrylic one now that CAN come apart.  I tried to clean it this morning by dipping it in vinegar, and then sanding it with sandpaper to get the caked on algae off.  That didn't work.

The two I've tossed were glass and don't come apart in any way I can find.