Nano Fish with Shrimp

fishmom

Can anyone give me some nano fish recommendations that are semi-shrimp friendly?  I realize anything I choose is likely to eat some babies, and am ok with this since my colony is established. I got some phoenix rasbora the other day, and lost 4/5 within 24hours.  I think I did not acclimate them well enough?  pH 7.4, heavily planted 10 gallon. 

I've kept my shrimp with rasboras, neon tetras, pygmy corydoras, white clouds, endlers, pencil fish, otocinclus and even pea puffers in a heavily planted tank. I have multiple tanks and I am always changing things up every 6 months, but the one thing that remains consistent is my cherry shrimp. 🙂

• Like 1

Ember Tetra's are very shrimp friendly, and should look beautiful in a heavily planted tank.  They shouldn't bother shrimplets if you have a lot of plants.  Feed a bit of fine flake as they have tiny mouths.  :classic_smile:

Edited by Trish
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

I haven't personally had this setup but I've heard good things about guppies with cherry shrimp. Some people even breed them in the same tank for profit too. Colu's idea of endlers would also work great! 

My guppies in my other tank eat all the baby cherries.  all of them.  

• Sad 1

Just now, Ben_RF said:

I have had luck in the past with pygmy cories.  

I am experimenting with Celestial Pearl Danios at the moment and things seem to be going well.

And honestly I think the key to make it work is making sure there are tons of shrimp hides.  In these tanks I have made sure to do rock piles and underneath the rock piles I had chollo wood for them to tunnel through.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

I haven't personally had this setup but I've heard good things about guppies with cherry shrimp. Some people even breed them in the same tank for profit too. Colu's idea of endlers would also work great! 

My guppies and shrimp live together in 10 gal community tanks. I provide plants (stem, floating, and rooted) as cover for baby fish and shrimp. Both guppies and shrimp are thriving and multiplying. The key is to keep the guppies well fed so they are less inclined to seek out shrimp snax. 😇

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, Ben_RF said:

And honestly I think the key to make it work is making sure there are tons of shrimp hides.  In these tanks I have made sure to do rock piles and underneath the rock piles I had chollo wood for them to tunnel through.

I have an 8 inch long 3 inch wide piece of Cholla wood in my shrimp tank and the 6 pygmy's sleep in it!  They know a good hotel when they see one!  :classic_biggrin:

My first tank is just new, so no shrimplets yet. But, the blue neocaridinas I have in there just barge right through the school of lambchop rasboras when they feel like swimming to the other side of the tank. The rasboras don't seem to take any notice of the shrimp otherwise. There is also a school of boraras naevus in there, hiding amongst the plants. I fear they may predate on the shrimplets, considering where they seem to like to cruise around.

Edited by Chiller

• 6 months later...

I have had luck keeping chili rasbora, pseudomugil gertrudae, and guppies (the guppies are probably hit and miss) with amano, ghost and neocaridina pumpkin shrimp. I want to try pygmy sunfish (elassoma gilberti).

I agree with hides for the shrimp. I have loose java moss around the bottom and that creates a pretty good shelter.

Edited by AnsleyBleu

I have had good luck with guppies, ember tetras, a betta, habrosus and panda corys, kuhlis, and neons with shrimp.  I was moving fish around yesterday (experiment in progress: how will the shrimp do with a few swordtails that I'm trying to save fry from) and found about 250 shrimp...I thought there were maybe 30 in that tank.  I think we should probably consider selling some.  I lost the first 3 colonies I tried, but then I got these blue velvets locally and they've (apparently) done great.

So far, I've found pgymy cories, bristlenose plecos, and Endler's to be excellent companions for both cherry and Amano shrimp. I've got Ember tetras in quarantine right now that'll be going into what is currently a shrimp tank and don't anticipate any issues there.

Bettas? Mine was NOT good with shrimp. In fact, he harassed them so much, they all retreated to the filter, and I never saw them unless I was checking the filter or doing maintenance. After he died, they came out and about again. So I suspect some bettas will be fine with shrimp, but others most definitely will not.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Dawn T said:

Bettas? Mine was NOT good with shrimp. In fact, he harassed them so much, they all retreated to the filter, and I never saw them unless I was checking the filter or doing maintenance. After he died, they came out and about again. So I suspect some bettas will be fine with shrimp, but others most definitely will not.

I think that's the thing one thing you can always assume with bettas...they're all different! 🙂

I keep my shrimp in with endlers, panda corydoras, and a betta. Bettas and shrimp are definitely a risky mix, but mine has been completely uninterested in eating them. Even with the tiniest babies, he just sort of gently pushes them to the side if they're in his way. I've gone from 10 shrimp to many (so, so many) in about a year and a half. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at putting Celestial Pearl Danios in with my shrimp.  My neocaridinas are currently in with a Honey Gourami, 2 guppy males, 1 endler male, and 5 neon tetras, and a bristlenose pleco.  My aquarium has a BIG dense Taiwan Moss tree (~11" tall, with a canopy spread of over 12") in which the shrimp can refuge and release their hatchlings.  I'm generously gifting cherry shrimp any time a friend asks for them!  The shrimp are quite prolific!  The Honey Gourami is often on inspection rounds of the moss tree, as is the endler male, picking at this and that, one suspects the bolder, newly hatched shrimp. I believe the Gourami is also eating tiny gyro snail hatchlings as well, controlling their numbers. The Gourami is FAT and healthy!  He does not harm the adult shrimp, or even the tinys that are coloring up, and getting around the tank on their cleaning missions.  He DOES annoy them a bit, by tickling them with his feelers, while they are feeding, to back them off and let him eat their shrimpee pellet!  They just stand back, offended, watching him, and just resume eating the pellet after the Gourami moves on.  Meanwhile, the shrimp are contentedly swarming all over everything in the aquarium.